Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Can Windows10 text search find text inside a .XAR document?

Hello

Is it possible to get Windows10 to find text inside a .XAR document?

For a several years I have mostly been using a (paid for) search utility called "X1 Search" to find text within my files. It works pretty well in general, but it doesn't seem to be able to find text within .xar documents.

What about Windows 10's built-in text search function - does that work either? (I can't get it to work for me...)

This is one issue that has stopped me using XDP much more often.

Cheers

J

Default Re: Can Windows10 text search find text inside a .XAR document?

to recognise text within a document a search utility would need to know how it was encoded, otherwise it is just the equivalent of trying to read a foreign language you have never learned, quite possibly in a script you don't recognise, with no idea of whether to read left/right right/left top/down centre-out.....

I think the chances of windows 10 doing this are nil

I use agent ransack - it will search word [but not xara]; word formatting is not proprietary in the way xara is - interestingly sometimes you can get a 'result' because the search finds a string of characters that 'spell out' a word, but are in fact encoding something else - this often happens with jpg/png files for example when doing a wildcard search
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Info Re: Can Windows10 text search find text inside a .XAR document?

It depends how desperate you are:

• You can File > Export as WIX format. This is a Xara-internal version of a .WEB / .XAR file. The text is unencoded.
    • You can File > Export as PDF. You are then at the whim of MS Search and your installed PDF filter.
    • You can File > Export website. You can then search within the *.htm(l) files. This is unencoded.

In all cases, I would never use MS Windows Search.

My go-to search tool for this type of operation would be Notepad++ and Find in Files.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

unencoded here means losing formatting info - right?

these methods may show you what is in the xara file but a bit fiddly for editing puropses... as you say depends how desperate

must look at notepad++ again, not used it for a quite while, windows FE can be a pain in many ways
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Shipen. Computer Active magazine did a piece called " Why you must switch to Windows enhanced search" in Issue 585 (29th July - 11th August) which you may be able to still find in the shops. It seems to suggest you can search for files and their content. Might be worth £2.30 if you can still find it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	127598  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I think you have been rummaging in your garage too long egg

if its not ascii based [remember ascii ?] no show...
    Nothing lasts forever...

You haven't seen my garage HD. Yes remember ascii, just. It was just an article I thought may help. I never tried it, quite happy with my search app.

EDIT: But it might be good if you wish to search for something like:

“Š›žULL¤ôÓæ]þÏÓÿ
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    to recognise text within a document a search utility would need to know how it was encoded, otherwise it is just the equivalent of trying to read a foreign language you have never learned, quite possibly in a script you don't recognize, with no idea of whether to read left/right right/left top/down centre-out.....

I think the chances of windows 10 doing this are nil

I don't understand this. This is a REALLY important issue for Xara.

Are you saying:

1. That Microsoft are at fault for only allowing their search utilities to do text search through THEIR OWN file formats/encoding system?(e.g. msExcel, msWord, msPowerPoint, msOutlook etc). OR

2. Are you saying that the search utility companies are at fault for not using Xara's file format? OR

3. Are you saying that Xara is at fault for not publishing their file format?

The bottom line is that IMHO, Xara as no hope of ever getting out of "1st gear" and getting anything approaching wide-scale adoption until such time as it is their files are searchable. Why would you leave any content in Xara if you can't search for and find it afterwards?

J

PS If you are saying "1." them Xara (and similar companies?) should sue the hell out of Microsoft, because they are in a near monopoly position and using their dominant position as operating system developer to favouring their own applications.

Shipen, try this. Create an A4 portrait page. Just create the text "Shipen". Save.
    Now open the .xar file in Notepad & search for "Shipen".
    Egg