Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Imported photos into web documents are automatically made smaller - max. 1920px wide

Copy/paste from the manual (page 27):
    When you import a stock photo into a print document you get the photo’s full resolution into your design. The resolution of photos varies, but most are much higher than HD resolution.
    When you import into a web document, as when importing local photos, the resolution is still limited to HD because it’s rare to need any higher resolution than this for a website.
    So any photo I drag and drop into a web document (or import from the Content Catalog) gets optimized to be a maximum of 1920px wide. It's not just a dpi change so it fits nicely on the page, the image really gets reduced to be 1920px wide.

Having full-width graphics on a website is pretty common. Having a photo that needs a lot of cropping is also not that rare.

By already reducing an image on import to 1920px you remove the option to zoom in a decent amount on part of an image and still have it be above 96dpi for the final result. It's even worse if you consider the 2x Retina version that needs to be created as well.

I would really like the option to just drag/drop high resolution images into a web document and not have the program give me a smaller version of it before I've even decided what part of the image I want to use.

Perhaps an extra option under "Options/View" to not automatically reduce images down to HD on web document imports.

Default Re: Imported photos into web documents are automatically made smaller - max. 1920px w

there is in registry ...options/filters, a key called: WebImportPhotoOptimise set by default to 1

changing this to 0 may help, but I have not tested it as I don't do websites, so be careful if you do
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: Imported photos into web documents are automatically made smaller - max. 1920px w

Here's one i prepared earlier: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...Picture-Holder.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Know1, in Explorer select the photo and choose open with Xara (whichever version you have) This opens the image in a Xara photo page. Select and copy it and paste it into a web document. It is imported at original dpi. Do with it whatever you wish after this
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Yeah, it's just a silly thing to have to do.
    Basically what seems to happen is that Xara doesn't show this popup option in web documents when you import an image, but just goes ahead and selects 'Import reduced' without telling you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	on-import.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	127593

you can also change the image size at which that function becomes active in the registry using ...options/filters/importsize this key is straight forward, I have mine set to 10000, 1920 being far to low for my bitmap editing which can be A3 at 600dpi
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you can also change the image size at which that function becomes active in the registry using ...options/filters/importsize this key is straight forward, I have mine set to 10000, 1920 being far to low for my bitmap editing which can be A3 at 600dpi
    I'm also having the same problem since WDP17 - all images are imported at 500px wide!!!
    Opened the registry and saw the importsize key IS set at 1920. Changed the value to 3000 and closed the registry ( no save button?) and restarted my machine.
    No difference at all - images still imported at 500px! Very frustrating since I am doing a photographic portfolio site for a client..

@letsgofishing, check the Options/View/Bitmaps section, It sounds like it is still set to the first option "Resize large imported photos down to [500] pixels"

know1 is correct - registry editing is only a last resort when there is no option in the UI

[and if you sre not familiar with registry editing be careful and backup first before you make any changes]
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi,

Improvements to image import for web documents (all documents) will be in the next Xara Designer Pro+, release scheduled for early Sept. Not sure when for DPX, you'll know as soon as I know.

Thanks