Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Cannot Bold a Font in Xara

Hi

Can anyone please help. Why is it that I am unable to bold a font in Designer Pro X? I can bold the same font family in Microsoft word but not in Designer Pro X.

I have selected "Bradley Hand ITC" font and want some of the text to be in bold. I tested to see how it looks using word and was happy with it but when I tried to replicate it in Xara....guess what it just would not allow me to do so. Message the font does not offer bold and italic variant. I tried checking the net there is no bold variant either. But how is it I am able to bold this font in Microsoft word???

Look forward to some clarity on this issue?
    Best Rgds
    Kish

Info Re: Cannot Bold a Font in Xara

Kish, probably because MS Word fakes it.

You can fake it in the Xara Desktop application too.

For Print documents, just add a Line width of 0.5px or as effective for your font size.
    This will not show in Web documents though.

It is a bit more messy for Web documents.

Create a Character Style and name it 'bold'.
    As a Character Style will not hold a Line width, give the 'bold' style an underline and a strikethrough for good measure.
    Create a CSS block of
    Code:
    <style>
    .bold {
      font-weight: bolder;
      text-decoration: none;
    }
    </style>
    and add to Website Body (code).

To handle both Web and Print at the same time could probably be handled with an @media CSS statement but I have not gone that far yet.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Cannot Bold a Font in Xara

There is a separate bold TTO version available: https://www.fontsplace.com/bradley-h...-download.html.

Bold or Regular, it is a very unfriendly font for reading prose.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Cannot Bold a Font in Xara

Dear "Acorn"

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. Much appreciated.

The link you provided to get the bold version did the job. It was exactly what I wanted. I tried searching for this before I posted my query but was not successful. Thanks a lot save my day! Magic!

No need to fake it or insert the CSS code. I must agree it is unfriendly font ...but I only need it for a small portion of a text in some of the pages.

Once thank alot...hoooha!

Best Rgds
    Kish