Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Happy 20th Anniversary Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    it just used to mean end-of-trip piss-up to trawlermen round here, back in the day
    Once a week then.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

That's a fascinating historical record, just like Mr Priester.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Well done Gary and congratulations. You certainly have been of great benefit to Xara and asset to the TG community.

I think Xara itself had it’s 39th anniversary in July, I wonder what they’ll do for their 40th! Maybe release an update!

Off topic! handrawn that Mainly Norfolk website is interesting. Over the past few months I’ve rekindled my liking for English folk music and discovered a few shanty’s that have now become favourites. I particularly like the ‘Thames barge’ songs sung by Bob Roberts, like Whiskey Johnny, Stormy Weather etc. They’re great to whistle to myself at work (under my face coverings!).
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Congratulation Gary, but of course that wasn't the begining, this forum is only the latest one. Before that you were equally active on the old i/us Xara forum.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Happy 20th Anniversary Today

And I believe before Xara he was CorelDraw author..
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Ack. I just assumed this thread was something to do with Xara.

Before TalkGraphics there was i/us which was started by Chris Dickman and Arlan Bartch and is long gone. Arlan Bartch was a former director of marketing for Corel Corporation and Chris was a graphics software authority and magazine and book author. Arlan and Chris started i/us and commissioned the original XaraXone. And they also started the conference site that is now TalkGraphics. When i/us shut down and Arlen and Chris started their new venture, I approached Xara to sponsor the XaraXone. Working with Kate Moir all those years was a pleasure. I think there were only one or two occasions when Kate specifically told me to do something. Basically I was on my own.

In the early years of the XaraXone I created the Featured Artists Gallery and Egg Bramhill was one of my first featured artists.

I started using CorelDRAW I think in the early 90s and co-authored a book with David Huss. OG (other Gary, Gary Bouton) and I met in Ottawa at a Corel World Design awards dinner. CorelDRAW at that time was the only credible design and illustration program for Windows, which at the time required a run-time version of Windows. Mary and I had our own graphic design company in San Francisco and I used CorelDRAW for all our design work. Bouton, and Dickman, and Huss and Altman, and I all wrote for CorelMagazine, a really fun time. I also met Alison Moore, one of the moderators here at TG at one of the CorelDRAW Conferences.

In 1996 at one of Rick Altman's CorelWorld Conferences, in Texas think it was, we saw a demo of a new application that Corel had just agreed to market, Xara. When the presenter from Corel, Leah Haymen demonstrated the Linear transparency feature by simply dragging across a photo with the Transparency Tool to magically reveal part of a photo that was beneath, I knew Xara was the design tool for me.

It was all so long ago. I'm probably wrong on a half dozen points.

Thanks all for your we wishes. Co-incidentally, Mary and I met 46 years ago today!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G&M-46.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	127561  
    Last edited by gwpriester; 03 August 2020 at 06:52 PM.

steady on guys, you will be making him feel old at this rate

@Jono

Ewan MacColl's song ' the shoals of herring' was based on [the life of] sam larner, wriiten for the BBC Radio Ballards in 1960, when I were but a sprat, but Gary was already well on the way to being 'a fascinating historical record'

Gary you snuck in whilst I was writing - congrats to you and Mary - stay safe
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Happy 'meeting' anniversary Gary and Mary.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host