Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Items not showing in Page & Layout gallery

wdp17
    All of a sudden, if I select an object on screen and it is a repeating object, it doesn't shoe in the P&LG.
    If I open the repeating group in the P&LG, then when I select the object on screen, it shows??]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view 1.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	127506

[ATTACH=CONFIG]127505[/ATTACH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view 2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	127505  

Default Re: Items not showing in Page & Layout gallery

Anybody please?

Quote Originally Posted by letsgofishing View Post
    Anybody please?
    LGF, try opening the P&LG and clicking the Locate button.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@letsgofishing,

I've noticed the same thing. If you select a repeating object, it isn't highlighted in the P&L gallery. You have to open the repeating group, and voilą, it shows as selected. This is definitely a bad change that Xara made, because you have to search through all the repeating groups to try to find it. This is something Xara should definitely fix for the next update.

Info Re: Items not showing in Page & Layout gallery

Quote Originally Posted by gcellison View Post
    @letsgofishing,

I've noticed the same thing. If you select a repeating object, it isn't highlighted in the P&L gallery. You have to open the repeating group, and voilą, it shows as selected. This is definitely a bad change that Xara made, because you have to search through all the repeating groups to try to find it. This is something Xara should definitely fix for the next update.
    Are you saying that with the Locate button active, a selection does not show in the P&LG?
    Using the Locate button means when any selection (almost) is highlighted, the Layer(s) expands and the object(s) are highlighted.

Nothing happens in Page mode.

What Xara definitely has failed with is are the following:
    • Text Line, Column Area - switching from any Tool to the Text tool and the object's focus vanishes.
    • Smart Tables - nothing works for the components within the table whatsoever, though the table itself shows as selected.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Are you saying that with the Locate button active, a selection does not show in the P&LG?
    Using the Locate button means when any selection (almost) is highlighted, the Layer(s) expands and the object(s) are highlighted.

• Text Line, Column Area - switching from any Tool to the Text tool and the object's focus vanishes.
    • Smart Tables - nothing works for the components within the table whatsoever, though the table itself shows as selected.

Acorn
    At the risk of admitting I'm a complete idiot, After +- 10 years of using WDP, I have never heard of the :
    "locate" button and NEVER right clicked in the P&LG!!!!!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post

Acorn
    Sorry, I’ll give a little more detail. I’m not sure, but I assume it is also what @letsgofishing is referring to.

If you have the P&L gallery open and the page and the layer expanded, selecting an object on the work area will highlight the object in the gallery list. You can easily see where it is in order to drag it toward the front or back, and it is particularly useful if you want to select several items. Once you make the object repeating, it shows as a repeating group. If you expand the repeating group, you see the object on the page as a part of that group. Previously, if you selected an object on the work area, the repeating group would be highlighted. However, in WDP 17, it is not. You actually have to find and expand the right repeating group to see that it is highlighted. (I don’t know if it was like that for v16, but it was not in earlier versions). The problem is that by default the repeating groups are not expanded, so you have to search through them (and expand them individually) to find the one you want. Consequently, it is much more cumbersome to select repeating objects from the work area and manipulate them in the gallery.

Maybe XDP didn’t change, but WDP did.

Thanks if you have any input.

As Acorn says above, Click the 'Locate' button (top right of the gallery).

It's one of those buttons that you look at every day but never see.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    As Acorn says above, Click the 'Locate' button (top right of the gallery).

It's one of those buttons that you look at every day but never see.
    Thanks, Chris M and thanks, Acorn.
    Now I see what Acorn was referring to.
    I was not aware of this button. As you say, Chris M, it has always been there, but I hadn't noticed it and didn't know what it did. It will be helpful.
    Admittedly, I don't understand why the software used to highlight the repeating group when the object was selected, but it no longer works that way.
    In any case, the advice will be very useful.

I do believe it has always behaved this way for a long time.
    It does seem contrary to other grouped objects' behaviours.

IF you happen to have the P&LG open in Layer mode
    AND you have the Layer with the Repeating Object expanded
    AND the Repeating Object itself is expanded
    WHEN you select the Repeating Object in the design
    THEN the P&LG will be highlighted

This is the exact same behaviour in v15 and if it is not a Repeating Object.
    If the Layer is not expanded, no amount of selecting will produce a highlight.

It only happens when the Locate button is depressed.

v10 highlights the Repeating Group and not the object so perhaps this is what you have had experience of previously?

Acorn