Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Links in sortable table widget

Looking for help in putting hyperlinks to names in a sortable table. I've used the widget for some time, and now have an application that would require the names in one column to be hyperlinks. I've experimented by putting link syntax into the CSV on some of the names. They show up underlined and clickable, won't work in Preview, but even after publishing to server, I get error messages whether I click to documents already referenced elsewhere on the site, or even to external sites.

If anyone has tried this and wants to see a live example, I can provide that. If it's impossible, I'd like to know that, too. Thanks in advance. This is an exceptional forum.

Default Re: Links in sortable table widget

You have to wrap your links in an HTML A Tag: <a href="urlLink" >Visible Link Text<\a>.
    I documented this a few years ago.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks, Acorn. All the anchor syntax was correct, as it has been for all the same links when not embedded in a table. Further experimentation found that one of the five links worked, so I began comparing to the others. It appears I have some inconsistencies in the path names and file names that are problematic in the table that work fine elsewhere. I may have to rename some of the PDFs to eliminate any embedded spaces in their filenames, then delete and reattach some to get them picked up in the index_htm_files folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Anderson View Post
    Thanks, Acorn. All the anchor syntax was correct, as it has been for all the same links when not embedded in a table. Further experimentation found that one of the five links worked, so I began comparing to the others. It appears I have some inconsistencies in the path names and file names that are problematic in the table that work fine elsewhere. I may have to rename some of the PDFs to eliminate any embedded spaces in their filenames, then delete and reattach some to get them picked up in the index_htm_files folder.
    For spaces in your PDFs, keep your filenames, but in your links, replace each with %20.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Info Re: Links in sortable table widget

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    For spaces in your PDFs, keep your filenames, but in your links, replace each with %20.
    Just found the old Thread: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...e-Widget-Issue. Post#15 summarised what I found worked.

Acorn

A couple years ago, I had some questions on getting hyperlinks into a sortable table that I'd been using for some years (think it went back to Version 9). Worked perfectly. With help from this gang, particularly Acorn, I managed to get it working properly. Now I've got a problem, and searching for "scrollable list" brought me back to my question from 2020. The thing I'm struggling with isa Hall of Fame inductee list, which I maintain in my database, and there are a few names added each year. Sometimes we add hyperlinks to the names if bio info is completed so clicking on the name brings up the bio. Slick! At 20 lines per page, it occupied about 13 pages. It was sorted by default on year (of participation in Olympic team), but clickable to sort on name. At some point in the past year, it stopped working, but I'm only now getting around to fixing it. The navigation controls at the bottom of the display no longer work. I'm now using XDPX 18, and that widget is no longer available (I was going to reconstruct it from scratch). It has always been loaded via a CSV from my database, with hyperlink syntax automatically embedded, no manual inserting or editing. Now with SmartShapes the only option, I don't see any functionality for navigation controls, nor does it support loading tables via CSV. I suppose I can drop the CSV into a spreadsheet, then copy and paste, a clumsy couple of extra steps. Am I missing something? How will it handle a list of about 260 names? Will it be clickable to instantly re-sort? This list was going to now replace two lists of all the names, one in alphabetical order, the other by induction year. So much better to be in an embedded sortable table, and I was hoping that would work on a mobile/tablet variant. It's unfortunate if they've dropped that feature. I'm sure it quit working at some point when I did an update with a more recent version than I'd used to create the table, and now I'm stuck unless there's a good solution. Hope someone can help me. I can send the URL of the site with this (and another) non-working table. It appears without the navigation controls, and so is stuck on the first page of each table.

SOLVED!!! Found the widget I needed in "More Online" after all the SmartShapes in the Tables section under Components. Had tried to load "More Online" recently, but must have hit something that kept it from loading. Still loaded VERY slowly, but I managed to find the widget, import it to a new page, and load it with the data I'd prepared for loading to the widgets that were no longer working.

Sorry to have posted such a convoluted explanation of what I needed. I had thought that when I cownloaded "ALL" formats, that I'd get everything, so the "more online" button was a last desperate attempt to find my wonderful widget. Thanks to everyone who had to slog through what I wrote, but if anyone else is looking for info on a sortable scrolling table widget, THAT's where you'll find it, and it's pretty easy to use. Now, if anyone has questions about this, message me, I'll be happy to share, and will try to remember to post the sites that make use of this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Anderson View Post
    SOLVED!!! Found the widget I needed in "More Online" after all the SmartShapes in the Tables section under Components. Had tried to load "More Online" recently, but must have hit something that kept it from loading. Still loaded VERY slowly, but I managed to find the widget, import it to a new page, and load it with the data I'd prepared for loading to the widgets that were no longer working.

Sorry to have posted such a convoluted explanation of what I needed. I had thought that when I cownloaded "ALL" formats, that I'd get everything, so the "more online" button was a last desperate attempt to find my wonderful widget. Thanks to everyone who had to slog through what I wrote, but if anyone else is looking for info on a sortable scrolling table widget, THAT's where you'll find it, and it's pretty easy to use. Now, if anyone has questions about this, message me, I'll be happy to share, and will try to remember to post the sites that make use of this feature.
    Ken, I have just PMed you. I'm glad you solved it. Pity I was not quick enough to show you the trick where you don't have to copy the data over.

It's working, which is the main thing.

Acorn