Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: JS Hamburger Menu (Acorn)

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Chris

The void simply ensures the following expression is evaluated and then returns nothing (undefined). Specifically:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...Operators/void

Without it, the browser jumps away from your site to a new page and tries to present the return value of your expression, usually, [object Object].
    This is better explained in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bookmarklet by the inventor of JavaScript.

I have explored the use of a variable declaration like, javascript: { var xxx=$('.Hamburger').toggle(500); }, where jQuery still seems to execute but there is no return value but as I am not that knowledgeable with JS arcanery, I have stuck to what I believe is safest.

You gave the Placeholders the ClassNames: vid[1,2,3,4].
    The methods are for the videos themselves so these have to be identified individually as IDs: [101vid, 102vid, 103vid, 104vid].

In JavaScript, a collection of items with ClassName is accessed with the convention of a preceding dot (e.g., .vid3) and an individual object's ID is preceded with a hash (e.g., #102vid).
    Look at it just the way we accept a Tweet like @AcornIsBrill with barely a glance.

The actual declaration of a ClassName and ID in JavaScript is with class='fred' and id='gertie', so there is no need to add the dot or hash because I have just told you what they are.

Acorn
    I couldn't digest that in one sitting, but after reading a few times may I say; bravo, very well presented. Code is, literally, another language and you explained part of it to a non native in a manner that makes sense. I'm not sure if I'm more impressed with your multi-lingual skills or your teaching skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    On your last pop up button (pop-up3) type popup:close in the link box.

Attachment 127565
    Many thanks Chris

Info Re: JS Hamburger Menu (Acorn)

The following is a very simple development of my Ultimate Xara Menu Maker applied to having a "button" have multiple actions or states.

All I have done is ensure the numbers are on top of each other and each has a link to fir up the next ( #4 has a Link of javascript: openSesame('.3'); ).

Only the starter has an extra twist. It starts off with a ClassName of Menu so it shows on page load. When it is clicked there is an action to add in Menu ( javascript: void $('.5').addClass('Menu'); openSesame('.4'); ).
    Thereafter the coundown simply cycle3 5-4-3-2-1-5...

Other Objects are given the required ClassNames of a number.

In my demonstration, I have a Red Circle that does not appear on page load but does for every 5 revealed thereafter. Remove its Menu ClassName and it will show on page load as well.

JS - Multi-state Anything.xar

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The following is a very simple development of my Ultimate Xara Menu Maker applied to having a "button" have multiple actions or states.

All I have done is ensure the numbers are on top of each other and each has a link to fir up the next ( #4 has a Link of javascript: openSesame('.3'); ).

Only the starter has an extra twist. It starts off with a ClassName of Menu so it shows on page load. When it is clicked there is an action to add in Menu ( javascript: void $('.5').addClass('Menu'); openSesame('.4'); ).
    Thereafter the coundown simply cycle3 5-4-3-2-1-5...

Other Objects are given the required ClassNames of a number.

In my demonstration, I have a Red Circle that does not appear on page load but does for every 5 revealed thereafter. Remove its Menu ClassName and it will show on page load as well.

JS - Multi-state Anything.xar

Acorn
    Thanks Acorn - could you add "forward" and "back" buttons/icons/text/ to this?
    LGF

Info Re: JS Hamburger Menu (Acorn)

Quote Originally Posted by letsgofishing View Post
    Thanks Acorn - could you add "forward" and "back" buttons/icons/text/ to this?LGF
    LGF, try this.

You have 10 pictures so give them htmlclass="Menu 1" .. "Menu 10".
    Create a small line of the numbers 1..10. Give each a Link of javascript: openSesame('.1'); .. javascript: openSesame('.10');
    These numbers can be buttons/icons/text. They only need Links as they are always visible.

All they do is open the selected image/associated text and, potentially, left and right arrows.

The left/right arrows are trickier.
    Give them Image Filenames of leftArrow and rightArrow.
    Think of them as a pair associated with each image. They must share the same htmlclass as the image.
    The leftArrow has a link to the preceding image number so:
    • image(1) has leftArrow Link openSesame('.10'); and rightArrow has rightArrow Link openSesame('.2');
    • image(2) has leftArrow Link openSesame('.1'); and rightArrow has rightArrow Link openSesame('.3');
    • image(10) has leftArrow Link openSesame('.9'); and rightArrow has rightArrow Link openSesame('.1');

Stack all the left arrows together. Ditto the right arrows.

All these arrows could be replaced with a pair and a lot of JavaScript instead.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

LGF, try this.

You have 10 pictures so give them htmlclass="Menu 1" .. "Menu 10".
    Create a small line of the numbers 1..10. Give each a Link of javascript: openSesame('.1'); .. javascript: openSesame('.10');
    These numbers can be buttons/icons/text. They only need Links as they are always visible.

All they do is open the selected image/associated text and, potentially, left and right arrows.

The left/right arrows are trickier.
    Give them Image Filenames of leftArrow and rightArrow.
    Think of them as a pair associated with each image. They must share the same htmlclass as the image.
    The leftArrow has a link to the preceding image number so:
    • image(1) has leftArrow Link openSesame('.10'); and rightArrow has rightArrow Link openSesame('.2');
    • image(2) has leftArrow Link openSesame('.1'); and rightArrow has rightArrow Link openSesame('.3');
    • image(10) has leftArrow Link openSesame('.9'); and rightArrow has rightArrow Link openSesame('.1');

Stack all the left arrows together. Ditto the right arrows.

All these arrows could be replaced with a pair and a lot of JavaScript instead.

Acorn
    Many thanks Acorn - appreciated!