Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Software subscriptions are a NIGHTMARE. Please allow us to BUY Xara Designer Pro+ !!

Dear Xara

I have Beta-tested your "HiDPI" version of Xara Designer Pro. I can confirm that it is excellent.

BUT

Please allow us to BUY it.

Background
    My life is far to unpredictable and many months may go by before I need XDP again! And I do not want the hassle of having to remember to keep switching off my subscription to any of the tools that I use. Nor do I want to pay through the nose if I forget. Nor do I want the hassle of turning my subscription on for a day and then off again if I just want to make a small edit to one of my documents! NIGHTMARE.

As a entrepreneur, because there is no way on God's earth that I shall use any software or utility on a Subscription model.

With thanks

J

Default Re: Software subscriptions are a NIGHTMARE. Please allow us to BUY Xara Designer Pro+

point of order: you don't buy 'it' - you buy a perpetual licence to use it without paying any more; but, [and one day it might be a big but], even then the program needs to check activation every so often and if it cannot do that you cannot use it [you agree to this in the EULA]... so you have to hope the company stays in business and keeps those activation servers up abd running...

I hope you get your wish soon
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: Software subscriptions are a NIGHTMARE. Please allow us to BUY Xara Designer Pro+

Unfortunately there is a trend at work. And all manner of software development companies are now forcing their customers into the "Subscription business model".

It suits their accountants. And it may suit anyone who uses their software multiple times every working day... And anyone who knows exactly what they will be doing many months from now.

But the subscription model does NOT suit me!
    Nor it does not suit anyone who is only an occasional user. Nor anyone who's livelihood only indirectly depends on their software.

Moreover, I would argue that Subscription also stifles innovation, because purchasing user will only pay to upgrade if it looks like the improvements are actually worth paying for!

Subscription is a nightmare. Over my dead body will I subscribe.

J

Adobe shut off all the subscriptions of their software in Venezuela last year because of the political unrest going on. So if you need the software and you lived in this part of the world you were out of luck.

This just reinforces why I hate subscription based software and why I do not use them. There are still alternatives out there. I hope Xara keeps the desk top going. I wish they would starts the updates faster like they originally said they were going to do. In my opinion it's not all Magix fault on this with the updates.

Ray

I just tried to explain my whole belief system, touching the topics Xara LX, 4k bugs in Windows, cloud marketing and how I fail to perceive it, Xara 5 as best version, etc. But nothing of it matters. In doubt, the finances matter. Which is okay. They who bought the company are to decide what to do. I will move on. I'm in the wrong market segment, not for the first time. So, it's all right.

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    Unfortunately there is a trend at work. And all manner of software development companies are now forcing their customers into the "Subscription business model".

It suits their accountants. And it may suit anyone who uses their software multiple times every working day... And anyone who knows exactly what they will be doing many months from now.

But the subscription model does NOT suit me!
    Nor it does not suit anyone who is only an occasional user. Nor anyone who's livelihood only indirectly depends on their software.

Moreover, I would argue that Subscription also stifles innovation, because purchasing user will only pay to upgrade if it looks like the improvements are actually worth paying for!

Subscription is a nightmare. Over my dead body will I subscribe.

J
    J. Simply buy the desktop version as I did through Magix. Xara markets Pro+ on their own, Magix has the desktop version. Improvements are incremental, but you’ll receive the latest version without having to pay the monthly fee.
    One of the many reasons I did not go with Pro+.

W
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Bill,

Shiphen is looking for the 4K version that Magix does not have. Who knows when it will be available through Magix. Matt B has stated that the upgrades to the desktop version are planned months in advance, which implied (at least to me) that the 4K version of the desktop through Magix may not be available for some time yet.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Bill,

Shiphen is looking for the 4K version that Magix does not have. Who knows when it will be available through Magix. Matt B has stated that the upgrades to the desktop version are planned months in advance, which implied (at least to me) that the 4K version of the desktop through Magix may not be available for some time yet.
    Thanks Keith. I missed that.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.