Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default What's Happening To My Xara?

Two things. No. 1 is the endless flooding of pop ups about updating the renewal service, and No. 2 is that the whole application dies when I try to use the bitmap editor, which is something I really need and all the time.

Is this my punishment for not renewing the update service?

Is this related?

This is screwing up my work flow big time. For the moment, I still have an old computer with a stable much older version of Xara installed. I am literally dreading the time when I will have to try and rely on the current thing which keeps giving me these "surprises," like completely dying/becoming entirely unresponsive/with no error messages/just frozen when I try to add a bit more contrast to a bitmap.

Default Re: What's Happening To My Xara?

as far as 1 goes see here : https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...vice-Annoyance

as far as 2 goes, which bitmap editor are you using in xara and is this happening in ver 16 as shown in your profile ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray69 View Post
    Two things. No. 1 is the endless flooding of pop ups about updating the renewal service, and No. 2 is that the whole application dies when I try to use the bitmap editor, which is something I really need and all the time.

Is this my punishment for not renewing the update service?

Is this related?

This is screwing up my work flow big time. For the moment, I still have an old computer with a stable much older version of Xara installed. I am literally dreading the time when I will have to try and rely on the current thing which keeps giving me these "surprises," like completely dying/becoming entirely unresponsive/with no error messages/just frozen when I try to add a bit more contrast to a bitmap.
    Which bitmap editor are you using/

If it is Options > Photo Editing > Editing Bitmaps: XPE then try running your application with Run as administrator the once.

If it is Options > Photo Editing > Editing Bitmaps: other program, does that program itself run without any problem?
    Also do set Bitmap transfer to PNG.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I've seen sth new. I opened Xara, this time deleted all the many open documents and left just one with a simple line drawing. Worked my way through all the pop ups that appeared. (note: WHY put a check box "I never want to see it again" if you then don't make it work????? It's just insult to injury!)

Turned the simple drawing into a bitmap. Called up the editor (Utilities -> Bitmap Editor). Same thing, just ... nothing at all works anymore. CTRL Alt Delete - stop process. And for the briefest flash of the blink of an eye, I saw the bitmap editor stuck BEHIND the main screen.

So it is all those pop ups. There is one that hops briefly onto the screen which is more colourful than the other ones (I see some sort of blue and white thing) but it disappears very quickly. I think that's what's doing it.

Any ideas????

It is mainly a Windows issue.

If the XPE is opening behind the main Xara design window, you can press Alt+Tab until it is selected then release.
    You can use Alt+Windows Key and the Arrow Keys to do similar.

Download a free bitmap editor and set this up for Xara Bitmap Editing. Almost any will be better than the XPE.

I switch to the Photo Tool (double-click) and double-click (again) to fire up the Bitmap Editor.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you dear Acorn and Handdrawn for your support and suggestions. My aspect was under a lot of stress and just freaked out when something that was never thought to be a problem caused a deadline to be missed. Been working with old/original/beloved Xara since Drawplus on my Archimedes back in the day, have produced a gazillion illustrations for manuals and such and I guess I'm old and set in my ways. I think I might just uninstall what I see is called MagiXara and go back to a time when I loved it. Where is that disc and the little piece of paper with the serial number ...

---------

I would like to highlight how grateful I am for this forum. I'm sorry to squawk, but it was really good to have someone to squawk to. You guys have always been wonderful. Thank you for being there and blessings for you!
    Last edited by Ray69; 21 July 2020 at 09:06 AM. Reason: A further thought!

I've found a workaround. By making the program window smaller before starting the editor, a bit of the editor sticks out and can be called forward. Yay! (All the usual windows shortcuts just didn't work for whatever reason).

Also @ray69 if you decide to update remember that Xara and Magix are moving into separate entities. Xara now has the Pro+, but Magix will continue with the standalone products.
    I just updated thru Magix and I’ve noticed that the pop ups have diminished somewhat. I don’t need the Pro+ from Xara or a monthly billing so I went to Magix.
    Just in case you update. This situation is well documented thru Acorn and others. Just remember the two are now separate. Pro+ offer more updates, but I can live with the Magix yearly.

-Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.