Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default NAMES, ANCHORS ISSUE. LOOKING FOR BEST PRACTICE.

On my website www.sclerodermajourney.com there are links to Scleroderma of the hand, including a link to raynauds. the other two link to a separate page, but since calcinosis and raynauds are on the same page, I want to link to the raynauds section of the page. I named the light blue rounded rectangle with raynauds text just above the article as RAYNAUDS. From the home page I linked to the anchor. It didn't work, just went to the top of the calcinosis-raynauds page. Figured out (which makes sense) since I had a reveal animation on the named group it would not go to the anchor (I'm guessing at that point the object does not exist.) So I did the simple thing, created a transparent rectangle above the area and named it, and linked to it. In the future as I add or move items, after not working on the page for a while, I can see me thinking I accidentally added that box and deleting it, so the anchor won't exist anymore. Better solutions? Thanks.

Default Re: NAMES, ANCHORS ISSUE. LOOKING FOR BEST PRACTICE.

Hi

First, I would not use the reveal animation. I think I only saw one and I found it distracting. Just my opinion, but unless there is a good reason for an effect, I would rather not use it.

An anchor will only work if it is below the screen level. I am not sure of this but I think that is how it works.

I have Web Designer 16 but this should work the same way in V 11. Highlight the text you want for the Anchor and then from the Utilities drop down menu, select Names. Key in a name then click Add. When you link, link to the Anchor. I just tried this and it works.

Thanks. I am on version 17. I might be confused, I'm not sure of what you mean by below the screen level. It works now because I link to the invisible named rectangle. Xara provides such nice web animation capabilities. What do you consider good reasons for an effect? I respect any suggestions you offer. I have watched some of your videos, video tutorials, xarazone tutorials etc. (It takes me a long time to recreate them step by step-but it is great learning.)

Thank you.

It's just a less is more philosophy that I have. I find effects, and there are some nice ones I agree, take away from the flow of the content and often feel gratuitous. But as I said, that's my opinion.

The problem with the transparent box is it is easy to lose. It you add or move the text, the anchor might be in the wrong position. But if you highlight the text and create the anchor then it travels along with the text if you edit it.

I just tried again and linked to an anchor that was visible on the screen and it does go directly to the anchor so never mind.