Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cannot save the right website to post.

For the life of me I cannot save the right website. When I make changes the page and then try to post them to the web, another website is posted without the changes. I have tried everything I know. Thank you for any help.

Default Re: Cannot save the right website to post.

Quote Originally Posted by musicmanrobert View Post
    For the life of me I cannot save the right website. When I make changes the page and then try to post them to the web, another website is posted without the changes. I have tried everything I know. Thank you for any help.
    A lot of mixed-up concepts here.

"changes to the page" - assume you are Saving a .WEB / .XAR file. Doing this does not Publish anything.
    "post them to the web" - is this you Publishing? If so, are you using Xara or a FTP?

What are you saving?
    Where are you publishing to?
    What are you publishing?
    How are you publishing?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Refresh the page in your browser Bob. Ctrl + F5.

I am saying, that when I make changes to the pages I am working on, I then attempt to save then publish saved website. However, the saved info does not show up on the published website. I dont know what to do. Whats meant by .WEB/ .XAR file. Please see, (NewPathwaysConsultants,LLC). This the first time I've had this problem. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by musicmanrobert; 19 July 2020 at 07:32 PM.

Unhappy Re: Cannot save the right website to post.

I am saying, that when I make changes to the pages I am working on, I then attempt to save then publish saved website. However, the saved info does not show up on the published website. I dont know what to do. Please see, (NewPathwaysConsultants,LLC) Thank you very much.
    You are probably going to get angry but you are not answering my questions at all.

You are changing what, where?

Do you have a Xara Desktop application design file (something.XAR or something.WEB)?
    Are you making changes and saving that file?

If not, are you trying to edit the published HTM files?

Publishing and Saving are two different processes.
    You save the .XAR / .WEB file; you publish its content to a service provider.

When you publish, you have to publish to the correct folder.
    What folder on the server are you publishing to?
    Do you know what the path should be and do you have to supply a sub-folder?
    Are you using Xara to Publish or another program?

Passing the name of your site (I guess it is for https://www.newpathwaysconsultants.com/index.htm) does not really help.

I want to see detail like:

I have a thingie.XAR file.
    It has eight pages.
    I am trying to change the index Page title form "https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pre-licensing-salesperson-75-hours-67625-tickets-66906387807" back to Home.
    I do this and save the design file.
    When I re-open it the change is still there.
    I then choose to publish the change by selecting File or Share > Publish website.
    More details....

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I am not at all angry. I appreciate your help. I've had a stroke and therefor much work on the computer. My wife tried to change class dates and then post to the internet. She was one who caused "https://www.eventbright.com/e/pre-licensing-salesperson-75-hours-67625-tickets-66906387807. I have tried to change but to no avail. I figured if I get rid of this, I could get the original web site to return. I've never investigated this program. I was interested only in producing the website. I still have not found whats wrong. Robert Williams

Bob - Sorry to hear about your stroke.

Two things come to mind. The first is the suggestion from my previous post, force a page reload in your browser (Ctrl + F5). Some times pages get cached on your computer by your ISP and do not automatically reflect recent changes. ISPs do this so the pages you have visited load faster the next time you visit the page. But if you have made changes they may not show for several days. Ctrl F5 forces the page to reload and often this fixes the problem.

The other possible cause is did the site get posted to the right folder on your web host's servers. Usually something like /public_html The files may have been successfully uploaded to the wrong sub directory.

Bob, thank you for your patience. I, too, am sorry to hear about your impairment but working together on this will get you pointed in the right direction.

Let's try and break it down further for you.

When you open your design file, what is its filename so we both know what I may be referring to later?
    It will be a file with an extension of XAR or WEB.

When you open it, has the Page Title change been saved to Home or what you wanted to replace the wrong information with?
    This will inform us that you are Saving the changes correctly.

Just tell us these two bits for now.
    This will make the next part simpler again.

Acorn

The website is: widescreenllLillie_web8-9-2020.web (Main) The server is: FTP-server:fasterbizbranding.com It does not say Home or maybe I am looking in the wrong place. Am I right so far.

Robert

Question Re: Cannot save the right website to post.

The website is: widescreenllLillie_web8-9-2020.web (Main) The server is: FTP-server:fasterbizbranding.com It does not say Home or maybe I am looking in the wrong place. Am I right so far.
    Robert
    Robert, yes, thank you.

The Xara file details tells me you have a Variant; the giveaway is the "(Main)".

Let's assume you want to check or change the Page Title of the index page.
    You can get to the first (index) page by using the select tool, clicking on the design and then pressing Ctrl+Home keys together.
    If the Page & Layer gallery is opened, Utilities > Galleries > Page & Layer Gallery, you just click the thumbnail of the first page.
    From there, click the Properties button or Utilities > Web Properties.

In the Page tab, you will see the Page title box.
    You can check or change the detail to what you need.
    Click the Apply button to save the change in the design.
    Click File > Save to save the design itself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2020-07-20 23.37.58.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	127448

What I want you to check are the Publish settings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2020-07-20 23.42.00.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	127449

What I am now after is the Sub-folder (optional) box entry.

What worries me is the fasterbizbranding.com part as this does not seem to be a Internet Service Provider. It is a Xara-generated site.
    Can you recheck this bit as well?

Acorn