Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default sharing a hard lesson lesson learned - FYI

had a widget in the site
    (5 photos that slid in the x-direction
    worked fined through doesn't of updates to the website
    then stopped
    without boring everyone about all the work I did to try to discern the problem
    I will just share the solution in case anyone else has a similar issue in the future

the widget was GROUPED with several photos and text box to make it easier to "PUSH"
    all elements down to make room for a new section of text

seems the widget would not animate if in a group
    ie =click near widget and rt click UNGROUP

hope this saves someone else the grief I went through

Default Re: sharing a hard lesson lesson learned - FYI

The trick is to Soft-Group or place the objects in their own layer and go Solo.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    The trick is to Soft-Group or place the objects in their own layer and go Solo.

Acorn
    thanks !
    *still trying to learn just what soft group does vs regular group

Quote Originally Posted by TheeeDragon View Post

sharing a hard lesson lesson learned - FYI

hope this saves someone else the grief I went through
    So, the real lesson is to ask for help here before an issue turns into an exercise in misery!

Quote Originally Posted by TheeeDragon View Post
    *still trying to learn just what soft group does vs regular group
    From the help file:
    Soft Groups
    Ordinary Groups as described in Grouping and un-grouping objects sit on a single layer, they cannot span layers. Soft Groups are an alternative way of linking objects together where the objects can be across several different layers.

Selecting one member of a Soft Group also selects all other members of the same Soft Group – even members that are on invisible or locked layers. This means when you delete, move, rotate or otherwise transform one member of a Soft Group, all the other members are similarly modified.

The status line indicates when a Soft Group is selected.

Soft Groups are useful for keeping closely related objects together. For example the MouseOff and MouseOver states of a web button are Soft Grouped together, so that if one state is moved or transformed, so is the other state.

Creating Soft Groups
    To create a Soft Group, select all the objects that are to be included in it and then choose "Arrange > Apply soft group" (or press "Ctrl+Alt+G"). Note that if the Soft Group is to include members on invisible or locked layers, you'll need to make those layers temporarily visible and editable using the Page & Layer Gallery in order to select the objects and Soft Group them.

An object cannot be a member of more than one Soft Group and Soft Groups cannot be nested (soft groups as members of soft groups).

Removing Soft Groups
    To disband a Soft Group, select it and choose "Arrange" > "Remove soft group" (or press "Ctrl + Alt +U"). The objects don't get deleted, they are just no longer linked together by a Soft Group.

The "better" way is to work out what Autofit to page is for and how it effectively creates a soft-group of items that move with the page size.
    Really powerful and I am sure that the Xara developer will be pleased that someone is promoting it.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    The "better" way is to work out what Autofit to page is for and how it effectively creates a soft-group of items that move with the page size.
    Really powerful and I am sure that the Xara developer will be pleased that someone is promoting it.

Acorn
    i will examine = BUT ==
    I often want exact positioning of my elements
    (for the look and feel that I want to achieve)
    thanks for suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    So, the real lesson is to ask for help here before an issue turns into an exercise in misery!
    sure
    come here often
    BUT
    I also learn best by trying to 'learn' a solution for odd issues
    which is why I shared in the OP

I think another solution is the PUSH
    BUT even with top lever I7 and 16 gb ram
    'pushing' took forever
    maybe now with I9 and 32 gb ram = might be worth a try again
    at least my export to html is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster now

I am grateful you shared, as many will have had your experience.
    The best way is to learn by oneself but a nudge in a different direction can also be enlightening.

I achieve my exact fit with many Guidelines and soft-grouping.

Acorn