Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Save as PDF

Default Save as PDF

I've created some graphic art projects and was wondering if they could be sent to a service to have them printed?Is there any way I can save a WD Premium file as a PDF?Thank you

Default Re: Save as PDF

I would think so, then I just looked. Nope. Not even a plain vanilla PDF.

Your best choice, and it is not much of a choice, is JPEG and change the resolution to 300dpi. Or if the service provider supports it, maybe Photoshop PSD.

If printing is available, you may have success with printing to a pdf print driver. You would need to set the paper size in the print driver.

Thank you. That wasn't the answer I was hoping for, but it is what it is. As a work-around, I previewed the file in my browser [Chrome] then I clicked on the browser's print option and set the destination to "Save as PDF" which worked, but I'm not sure of how the margins will affect the printing. I will also need to set the page size to the px of a standard size paper. [8 1/2 x 11 inch]

8.5”x11” file should be 816 pixels wide (8.5 inches) and 1056 pixels tall (11 inches) Converter here... https://everythingfonts.com/font/too...s/px-to-inches

No, that would be a standard windows resolution ...

For printing you would want to go with 300 dpi or 2550 x 3300.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Question Re: Save as PDF

Just tried https://www.web2pdfconvert.com on this Thread: www-talkgraphics-com-showthread-php-83705-Save-as-PDF.pdf.
    Try Save as Print again on the same page and see if it is any better.

I have found Xara's centring of a web page is problematic when attempting printing at the best of times.
    There is a TG Thread on the issues I contributed to a time back: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...nd-on-Web-page.

Personally, I would get a Trial version of XDPX and use its PDF export if the work can be done over a limited period.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 08 July 2020 at 09:06 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I would love to purchase XDPX [to use long-term] but it's a bit much for just starting out.I think the best solution for me will be to save the images as a JPG and then converting that into a PDF.However, how do I change the resolution to 300dpi? Do I change the page size since I have it set for standard page size now?I'm just learning about the technical side of this, but I hope to learn more so my designs are usable. I used to use Microsoft Publisher, but Xara WD is so much nicer to work with.

Here's my image information after doing the export from WD. Is this acceptable?https://letstalk.tinytake.com/tt/NDQ0MjAwMF8xNDA0NTIzOQ

Info Re: Save as PDF

Quote Originally Posted by marjorie View Post
    Here's my image information after doing the export from WD. Is this acceptable?https://letstalk.tinytake.com/tt/NDQ0MjAwMF8xNDA0NTIzOQ
    marjorie, 96dpi is not any use.

Here is what I would do if I only had XWDP.
    I would select a page at a time. I have assumed and set A4 Landscape in XWDP.

Then use File > Export JPEG.
    Add a File Name but then press the settings button and change:
    • Bitmap Size > Area to Save: Page
    • Bitmap Size > Bitmap Size & Resolution: type in 1200 DPI --> 14,332 x 9,922 pixels.
    • Export

Here is my test file:
    Xara-Text PDF.xar - all of 32KB.

My 1200dpi JPEG is 23MB.

I would either download IrfanView64 or use PDF-XChange Viewer or a free on-line JPEG2PDF convertor service.
    In IrfanView, the PDF is slightly large and in PDF-XChange is it slightly less.
    I did not try an on-line service as I did not want to publish this file.

For the resultant PDFs, I zoomed in and only started seeing jaggies at 3200%.

Obviously you can change to 8.5 x 11" and drop the DPI but if you have the space keep the DPI as high as XWDP allows.
    Storage is cheap.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat