Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do you delete text from a table?

Hello. I have just inserted table #9 into my website. I am having some success with it and have got it looking quite good, I believe. I filled the columns with text but there are some things there which I need to delete. I don't want any empty boxes after deleting something, so I need to be able to select all the text in the other boxes in the column and move them up one. I cannot find any way of selecting all the text. How can this be done?
    Thank you.

Default Re: How do you delete text from a table?

Yellow dot on the left of the Row - grab that and move Left.
    Yellow dot on the top of a Column - grab that and move Up.
    Double-click the Table to get the Smart controls.

Are you talking Rows or Coulmns?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn....but I fear that this will not do what I need it to. My table is unusual in that it has three columns which are independent of each other. So if I delete an item from column 1, It has nothing to do with columns 2 & 3 and I want them left unchanged.

I would never wish to delete something from an entire row all at once.... So the row deletion idea will not help.
    Is there any way of selecting just a series of boxes from one column and then moving them up or down (if I did this in the old program I used to use, I would select the text from all of that group of boxes, cut it and then paste it in the row above.)

Is there any way that I could do something like this? Or if that is not possible, could I remove all of the text from one column - so I could edit it elsewhere and then replace it - without deleting anything from the other columns?

It seems very odd to have a table where I can only access the text in one box at a time.

Info Re: How do you delete text from a table?

Quote Originally Posted by xKnuckles View Post
    Thanks Acorn....but I fear that this will not do what I need it to. My table is unusual in that it has three columns which are independent of each other. So if I delete an item from column 1, It has nothing to do with columns 2 & 3 and I want them left unchanged.

I would never wish to delete something from an entire row all at once.... So the row deletion idea will not help.
    Is there any way of selecting just a series of boxes from one column and then moving them up or down (if I did this in the old program I used to use, I would select the text from all of that group of boxes, cut it and then paste it in the row above.)

Is there any way that I could do something like this? Or if that is not possible, could I remove all of the text from one column - so I could edit it elsewhere and then replace it - without deleting anything from the other columns?

It seems very odd to have a table where I can only access the text in one box at a time.
    xK, welcome to the Smart?Table Appreciation Society.

I am not a fan.

What you are asking for is a Swap with (Above, Below, Left, Right) function on a Cell to allow a nudge capability.

The best I can currently manipulate with Xara Smart Tables is Ctrl+Select all blank cells in a column touching the filled cell.
    Merge then Select the merged cell and Unmerge and the filled cells' data has percolated up to the top.

here is a complex dance I can try and run you through.

For a Column
    • Shift+Select all the Rows
    • Merge [one cell with all text]
    • Unmerge [restored cells with top one with all text]
    • Select the merged Text with Ctrl+A & Ctrl+X [empty cell]
    • Select the top cell
    • Paste [data restored with blanks cells below]

Assumption: No linefeeds in cell data.

I leave the Row dance to yourself.

Basically, if you have text with linefeeds and a column of blank cells then Xara will paste a line into each cell until done.
    So if fewer lines than cells, the text goes in from the top down.
    If more, extra rows are created and new rows copy adjacent column values form the extra rows.
    The copied text is treated as a single column of TSV data.

Told you I wasn't a fan.
    I do, however, try to understand how a thing works and then try to develop from there; Xara never really explains.

@Xara - Regardless of how SmartTables works (or don't) the HTML Filter export really ought to form an HTML table with full ARIA compliance.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I replied earlier this afternoon but my reply appears to have gone AWOL.

As an alternative to Acorns suggestions you may consider creating a single column table. Clone it and move it right. Repeat for as many columns as you desire. Change all the Column Headings apart from one to a space " ".

At least this way you can edit the content of a column without deleting / changing a whole row.

In the attached screen grab I've intentionally left a gap between tables but of course you'd just butt them up to each other.

Xara tables were long time in delivery and still not spreadsheet-type friendly to edit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	127375  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I replied earlier this afternoon but my reply appears to have gone AWOL.

As an alternative to Acorns suggestions you may consider creating a single column table. Clone it and move it right. Repeat for as many columns as you desire. Change all the Column Headings apart from one to a space " ".

At least this way you can edit the content of a column without deleting / changing a whole row.

In the attached screen grab I've intentionally left a gap between tables but of course you'd just butt them up to each other.

Xara tables were long time in delivery and still not spreadsheet-type friendly to edit.
    Thanks Egg. (I got sidetracked from this.....am able to try again now...) This sounds like a simple solution. i shall give it a go. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    xK, welcome to the Smart?Table Appreciation Society.

I am not a fan.

What you are asking for is a Swap with (Above, Below, Left, Right) function on a Cell to allow a nudge capability.

The best I can currently manipulate with Xara Smart Tables is Ctrl+Select all blank cells in a column touching the filled cell.
    Merge then Select the merged cell and Unmerge and the filled cells' data has percolated up to the top.

here is a complex dance I can try and run you through.

For a Column
    • Shift+Select all the Rows
    • Merge [one cell with all text]
    • Unmerge [restored cells with top one with all text]
    • Select the merged Text with Ctrl+A & Ctrl+X [empty cell]
    • Select the top cell
    • Paste [data restored with blanks cells below]

Assumption: No linefeeds in cell data.

I leave the Row dance to yourself.

Basically, if you have text with linefeeds and a column of blank cells then Xara will paste a line into each cell until done.
    So if fewer lines than cells, the text goes in from the top down.
    If more, extra rows are created and new rows copy adjacent column values form the extra rows.
    The copied text is treated as a single column of TSV data.

Told you I wasn't a fan.
    I do, however, try to understand how a thing works and then try to develop from there; Xara never really explains.

@Xara - Regardless of how SmartTables works (or don't) the HTML Filter export really ought to form an HTML table with full ARIA compliance.

Acorn
    Thank you Acorn. This sounds complicated... I will save it as a last resort after I try the one column solution....

Quote Originally Posted by xKnuckles View Post
    Thank you Acorn. This sounds complicated... I will save it as a last resort after I try the one column solution....
    Yes it is complicated until you understand how Xara has designed its SmartShape.

Acorn