Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Registration Issues

I'm a long time user of Xara and have always been cautious of upgrading. So of course I always do the responsible thing by keeping my older version around. I run my program both on my home computer and my office one. The program should allow for this but when I recently upgraded I can't seem to register my new program to allow it to run on both computers as I had in the past. I've been having this issue since early February. Finally received a reply ..."My colleagues from the Sales Department have informed me that you are having techical issues with your program. Please note you can have one program installed on two devices. Looking at your customer account I can see the given serial number (i.e. the one ending with "-66641" has already been registered twice (once for the version 12 and newly for the version 17.0). In case you wish to install the program on another device you will first need to unistall one of the above (e.g. the old version 12). Should you encounter any difficulties please just let me know, I can alse delete the old version 12 Slot for you from my end (only upon your confirmation)."

Does anyone know how I can have both versions running on both home and office?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XARA Designer Prox 17 activationl.pdf.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	127366  

Default Re: Registration Issues

I think this is a recent policy change. And I have noticed when I install an update that Xara uninstalls the current version.

I have no idea why they are doing this and quite honestly it seems to go against their long standing policy of letting the user have multiple copies running at the same time.

Let me see if I can get somebody from Xara to comment on this new policy.

I think this is a recent policy change. And I have noticed when I install an update that Xara uninstalls the current version.
    No, that shouldn't be the case. If you install an update of 17 it should delete the previous version 17 & install the newer 17 version. In no way should it remove previuos versions (15, 16 etc)

I have no idea why they are doing this and quite honestly it seems to go against their long standing policy of letting the user have multiple copies running at the same time.
    I haven't seen any evidence of this. I have several version of XDP installed and they all work fine.

"My colleagues from the Sales Department have informed me that you are having techical issues with your program. Please note you can have one program installed on two devices. Looking at your customer account I can see the given serial number (i.e. the one ending with "-66641" has already been registered twice (once for the version 12 and newly for the version 17.0). In case you wish to install the program on another device you will first need to unistall one of the above (e.g. the old version 12). Should you encounter any difficulties please just let me know, I can alse delete the old version 12 Slot for you from my end (only upon your confirmation)."
    This support response goes against all previous options. I should be allowed to have two versions of each version installed on two computers.

Perhaps Rob could advise?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg - I have most previous versions still installed on my computer. But many if I try to start them from the .exe file produce error messages.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	127369  

those are usually the older versions [pre 12 I think ?] that pre-date the user resetable licence [P3.... ?] and so after so long, if they need resetting, that has to be done by the company [whichever one it is magix or xara, would imagine magix used to be xara sales dept]
    Last edited by handrawn; 07 July 2020 at 08:45 AM. Reason: missed out a bit
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Egg - I have most previous versions still installed on my computer. But many if I try to start them from the .exe file produce error messages.
    Gary, like Egg, I have about 12 apps loaded and all work. Some, I have had to run in sequence and point Backups to a different location. They go back to v5.1.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi shmuelg

Version 12 - 17 all should use the same license on the PC. If this is not happening and v17 is using another license then that sounds like a bug. If you contact Magix at infoservice@magix.net they should be able to assist and look into this with the appropriate department.

Thanks
    Rob

Info Re: Registration Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    Hi shmuelg

Version 12 - 17 all should use the same license on the PC. If this is not happening and v17 is using another license then that sounds like a bug. If you contact Magix at infoservice@magix.net they should be able to assist and look into this with the appropriate department.

Thanks
    Rob
    Rob, from chatting with shmuelg, it is obvious he has tried with Magix and got nowhere in understanding the situation.

I will try in simpler terms.

If you have an individual Serial Number then you can have two Activations against it.
    Here, v12 and v17 are running under the same Serial Number.
    You can only have two instances of any of v12, v15, v16 & v17 across up to two devices, necessarily, activated at any one time.

The problem with de-activating and re-activating, as I understand it, is you will be reverted all the way back to the registration version, losing all patches and bug fixes.

Some other people have paid for updates and even new licences and are not truly aware of their status:

• In your open Xara Desktop application(s), press Shift+Ctrl+Alt+1 and record the Serial Number(s). Sadly, you cannot copy and paste. [There are more complicated routes to getting to this value that i have previously identified on TG].
    • Next go to https://www.magix.com/gb/support/my-service-center/ and login in with your username/password. Open My Products and expand out details for the recorded Serial Numbers.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

They did say in his original post that should he encounter any difficulties to let them know. In which case do so. Let them know its the same device, they can check for themselves the ID's of the PC that is being activated and will extend his service should it cause any issues also.