Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Artefact-free Image Upscaling

Won't the 100dpi images print fine commercially at 300dpi, if they look fine on screen. Or am I missing something in my understanding? Maybe what is printed is not the same resolution as what I see on screen?
    You can export an image at any resolution but that is not going to help. 100dpi is about Windows screen resolution. It will look soft and out of focus when printed. Honest. 200dpi is pushing it. 300dpi actual image resolution is best.

I have printed a thousand or so of my stereogram images, plus I worked in advertising and graphic design for over 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    You can export an image at any resolution but that is not going to help. 100dpi is about Windows screen resolution. It will look soft and out of focus when printed. Honest. 200dpi is pushing it. 300dpi actual image resolution is best.

I have printed a thousand or so of my stereogram images, plus I worked in advertising and graphic design for over 40 years.
    Thanks Gary,

I'll definitely go the 300dpi route. It's going to be a big xar file! More than 1GB, since I have about 100 photos. My PC has 48GB of RAM. Can Xara Designer Pro X take that load?

Not really sure. Might be best to break it into smaller files. My feeling is it will be a strain. I am not sure how much the RAM will help or not. Acorn or Egg or one of the other members who is more technical might have a better idea.

When I work on a large book, mostly type, I break it into several chapters. I export a PDF/X4 file for each chapter then use Adobe Acrobat to combine the sections into one document.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Not really sure. Might be best to break it into smaller files. My feeling is it will be a strain. I am not sure how much the RAM will help or not. Acorn or Egg or one of the other members who is more technical might have a better idea.

When I work on a large book, mostly type, I break it into several chapters. I export a PDF/X4 file for each chapter then use Adobe Acrobat to combine the sections into one document.
    Thanks, that's a good tip!

it's a good general rule no matter which program you use.. always organise your work in logical chunks be they chapters, scenes, whatever; even if it is unlikely that they would be re-sequenced, it still is easier to manage...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    it's a good general rule no matter which program you use.. always organise your work in logical chunks be they chapters, scenes, whatever; even if it is unlikely that they would be re-sequenced, it still is easier to manage...
    Yes, I'm now thinking along those lines. I don't have Adobe Acrobat, but I think 'PDF Suite' might be able to do the same job.
    Actually, Xara Designer Pro X should be able to do the same as Adobe Acrobat, ie compile PDF documents, right?

Seamus

I would not recommend xara for combining PDF; mind you I would not use xara for editing PDF; creating PDF from asset of one kind or another, ok

that said you can do it, but again you run into the file size issue...

I am sure there are good alternatives to acrobat out there but I don't use any...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I suggest PDF Exchange Viewer, which is free.

Mine is a download into PortableApps, a collection of free-to-use apps that can be put on a USB stick and run on any PC.

I liked it that much I bought the Pro version and ditched Adobe Acrobat.

As I stated elsewhere, importing PDF into an XDA might not be the best route.
    Creating within an XDA might be a useful alternative for most but I would test something else against the XDA before committing.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Had trouble finding the source. Sorry to be a pedant, but I believe it's actually PDF-XChange Editor from
    https://www.tracker-software.com/pro...xchange-editor

Info Re: Artefact-free Image Upscaling

Quote Originally Posted by jaydear View Post
    Had trouble finding the source. Sorry to be a pedant, but I believe it's actually PDF-XChange Editor from
    https://www.tracker-software.com/pro...xchange-editor
    No need for pedantry here:

It was only a suggestion for people to make their own choice.

I do, however, totally endorsee https://portableapps.com.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat