Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Repercussions of graphic with mouse over pop up layer effect and click pop up layer

If you take graphics with a mouse over animation to pop up a layer on your main variant, copy them to a smaller (phone variant) - the layers also, and set the link property to popup layer (since mouse over doesn't work on a phone) without changing the mouseover web animation to none - will there be significant repercussions? I have a lot of them to do and an extra step will take a lot of time. I tried it, on the computer, when I resize the window to the phone variant it does the mouse over effect or I can click on the graphic for the same effect. Since I haven't published it, I can't see what it does on a smartphone - worried about speed too. My smartphone is an old cricket phone and is very slow anyway. Thanks! (added after original post) - if the speed or anything else isn't affected, is it maybe better to have both set on the main variant too so if the pages render slow for the mouse over effect and the viewer gets impatient and clicks on it the layer would pop up immediately?
    Last edited by yellowbird; 03 July 2020 at 06:54 AM.

Default Re: Repercussions of graphic with mouse over pop up layer effect and click pop up lay

Adding events to a shape does little in terms of payload size. Focus on not having too many images ("a lot of them") all loading into one page or Supersite.

If using v16+, use Image Filenames.

Create a page, Mani and Variant, with one image, its effects and rollovers.
    Duplicate that page and adjust for clicking as well.

Upload the design file here and we can advise further.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Repercussions of graphic with mouse over pop up layer effect and click pop up lay

I can't upload the file, goes to 100% but doesn't show so I can attach it. What is the size limitation? I'm using microsoft edge-is that an issue? Can view at www.jerrys-furniture.com. I am using Designer Pro x v17. I've only done the Ashley Living Room Furniture pages so far on the main variant (ashley_sofas-couches, ashley_sectionals etc). On the mobile variant, the only page completed so far is the ashley_sofas-couches page. I'm redoing the website, so there are new and old pages. I used to just link to Ashley Corporate, but their website hasn't been functioning for a while - and they may be discontinuing it and just keeping the Ashley Homestore site. Jerry's Furniture isn't a homestore, and they don't sell online. If I link to the homestore it goes to a store 100 miles away from them and directs them to buy online from them. I just need nice pages of examples of furniture for the customers to look at. The sales people can then show them similar options in the store and/or recommend what to order. Very small family operation. Thanks.

If you look at https://www.jerrys-furniture.com/ashley_ottomans.htm, your problem is the shear number of images that all have to load up.
    The roll-over images are 1MB apiece and you have 16 on the Main.

The overall payload is hitting 20MB and you have 236 HTTP requests.
    On a slow connection, one could hew the wood and build your own.

MS Edge is not the problem.
    You need to focus on optimising the image resolutions, avoid rollovers and reduce the number of images.
    I have a 25Mb/s connection and the page download time is 10 seconds.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

You have links in your site to:
    https://prod.ashleyfurnitureindustri...m/bedroom/beds

I get warnings from FF if I click links from your site.

If I view Ashleys website directly
    https://www.ashleyfurnitureindustriesinc.com/ & select "Products button" I get the same warning. I suggest you get in touch with them.

Also, ungroup your text links, they are exporting as images not text. Not SEO friendly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	127340  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I know. I replied to Acorn, but maybe you didnt see it "I used to just link to Ashley Corporate, but their website hasn't been functioning for a while (not renewing thier certificate) - and they may be (actually are) discontinuing it and just keeping the Ashley Homestore site. Jerry's Furniture isn't a homestore, and they don't sell online. If I link to the homestore it goes to a store 100 miles away from them and directs them to buy online from them. I just need nice pages of examples of furniture for the customers to look at." So I am making my own pages, slow process. Right now I only have ashley living pages done for the main variant, and only the variant for sofas, and loveseats so far. I need to know the size limitation to upload a few pages for you to look at. I have large graphic sizes, in my .xar file, but when I publish xara has always done a great job with optimizing. Anyway, as Acorn says it's heavy. I would just like to know what is the largest file size I can upload to the forum for you to look at. I do this website for free. I have a few others, mine is sclerodermajourney.com to provides awareness or the disease, doesn't ask for donations, but you can see what I have to work with for hands. As your reply to the text links on the old style pages, that was intentional at the time, so I could do a mouseover effect and have a different picture on a layer pop up on the left. I appreciate all your comments and help. It is a work in progress.

I didn't mean edge as the problem for speed on the site. I meant I couldn't seem to upload the .xar file to the forum. I need to know the file size that is allowed to upload. As for the website as it sits I have a 60 mb/s connection - wireless in a rural community-the slowest you can pay for and it works great - wireless not phone. The old cricket gets it up, ok after its cached, my sister's iphone brings it up fast. I know it is heavy and I'll have to fix it, but I want all the bells and whistles too. I'm a rooky, do this website for free, learning as I go. I knew these issues were going to be addressed, and I need your expertise. Thank you!

There is a TG upload size but I don't know what it is. Another method of sharing your large xar file is to upload it to Dropbox or similar cloud storage and post the link here on TG.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    There is a TG upload size but I don't know what it is. Another method of sharing your large xar file is to upload it to Dropbox or similar cloud storage and post the link here on TG.
    10MB for xar file - 10 MB for zip file, but zipping xar may not recompress a lot

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-07-04 22_04_36-Manage Attachments - TalkGraphics.com.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	127344
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I thank you all. Will consider the drop box, or I can make a copy and delete off al the pages except the ones that are really relevant and upload it here. I think I should invest a little time on my own too. Thanks!