Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default What's the cheapest way to got a HiDPI version of Xara Designer? (Cloud not needed)

Hello

I understand that the HiDPI version of "Xara Designer Pro+" has been released. However as a sole trader, I have no use for any of the "Cloud" stuff!

How can I get a "HiDPI" version of Xara Designer Pro that runs on my Windows 10PC, without buying any complicated subscriptions to "Xara Cloud. i.e. I have no use for "Team+" etc
    To get clear, I just want to run Xara Designer Pro on my 4K screen!

With thanks

J
    Last edited by shiphen; 29 June 2020 at 02:57 PM.

Default Re: What's the cheapest way to got a HiDPI version of Xara Designer? (Cloud not neede

I think you have two choices:

1] you buy the pro+ from xara; you totally ignore the cloud stuff, in the same way I and others [you?] totally ignore the web building stuff in the magix destop xara programs; but you will need to bite the bullet of a continual subscription

2] you wait until the magix distributed programs catch up...

you have been waiting a long time - so this may be 'hobson's choice' for you unfortunately: 1] or nothing

on the plus side, not having to deal with magix is a genuine 100% plus for xara customers
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Lightbulb Re: What's the cheapest way to got a HiDPI version of Xara Designer? (Cloud not neede

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    Hello

I understand that the HiDPI version of "Xara Designer Pro+" has been released. However as a sole trader, I have no use for any of the "Cloud" stuff!

How can I get a "HiDPI" version of Xara Designer Pro that runs on my Windows 10PC, without buying any complicated subscriptions to "Xara Cloud. i.e. I have no use for "Team+" etc
    To get clear, I just want to run Xara Designer Pro on my 4K screen!

With thanks

J
    shipen, you wouldn't pick Team+ as a sole trader, you would pick Pro+.
    The subscription model for Pro+ is not complicated.
    • Annual - (£17/m) == £204/y
    • Monthly - £23/m == (£276/y) - use this if you can develop in one-month chunks and don't mind squinting the rest of the time.

Have a read of https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...527#post623527.
    If you buy in now, you get a free trial, I think 14 days with another 14 days if you ask.
    Also, Xara is offering a 50% introduction during CV-19 pressures so the first annual cost is down to £102.

So keep XDPXv17 loaded as it is perpetual. Ensure it is on two machines and you have populated your local cache with Download All.
    Do not pay for the Magix Upgrade Service until you need it, e.g., if it delivers the HiDPI upgrade and you are at the end of your Pro+ subscription.
    Benefit from the Xara upgrades being slightly ahead of the Magix deliveries and potentially with more capability and UI improvements.
    Get faster responses from Xara with its on-line Intercom Help.
    Use Cloud+ > Share > Share to Web to let a client see a website on-line at no cost to you or the client: bad example - http://shared.xara.com/BiO2kkpUGB.
    Introduce Client to Cloud+ by adding as a Guest to then be able to amend your design! Personally, I am considering factoring in this to my Maintenance contracts with Clients as the interaction is going to be far more effective than the current email and screenshot bounces.
    This last, I asked Xara about. If you add a Member to your Team, they too can download and run two instances of Pro+. I suspect Xara is indicating this is possible under a Team+ account. A clarification here might be useful.

For for the trial period and a discounted one-year subscription, it is effectively costing you £8/m.
    You would save this in two fewer shop coffees. You are less likely to need the caffeine anyhow as you can see the Xara furniture more clearly.

The only remaining issue is the size of overlap of your remaining Magix Update Service.
    The more it is the more likely you have to get the HiDPI update; the less means it is going to be cheaper.
    You have to decide where the sweet spot is.
    I already did and bought in early.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: What's the cheapest way to got a HiDPI version of Xara Designer? (Cloud not neede

Hi shiphen,

Thanks for asking this question here as many users ask us the same and Thanks to you, handrawn & Acorn, for answering so quickly

Basically it is exactly how the two have described it:
    You either upgrade to the Pro+ plan and use Xara Cloud only by the means you need it. I know you think you don't need it at all, but I am pretty sure at one point you will find a scenario where you are happy to see Designer Pro+ integrating with Cloud

Or you wait until we release it for MAGIX. And for sure there will be a point where this feature will go into the MAGIX versions, but we can't tell exactly when this will be.

As you mentioned the price point, with our actual campaign upgrading to Designer Pro+ is even cheaper than upgrading your Designer Pro X to V17:
    Have a look into our post in 'Announcements': https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...igh-resolution

Want to experience it?
    You can download the lastest version of Designer Pro+ from here: https://xara.com/pro-plus-download/
    Please remember, in order to use Designer Pro+ you need to register it with a Xara Cloud account. You have a single account for both products.
    Signing-up today at www.xara.com means you will get a 14 day trial of both Xara Cloud and Designer Pro+.

Already have used up your trial but nevertheless want to be part of the new Xara movement?
    Then we strongly recommend you take advantage of our exclusive 50% discount (6-months free) for the first year of the subscrioption offer dedicated to our TalkGraphics community: use the code TALKGRAPHICS to get it, i.e. as an individual you will pay 101,70 €/ £/ $ for a whole year. In order to use this coupon code, do the following:

*Click the UPGRADE button in either Designer Pro+ or in Xara Cloud
    *Choose the Xara Cloud+ plan you want to go for (Pro+ for individuals, Team+ for 3 or more users)
    *During checkout, enter the coupon code TALKGRAPHICS
    *Complete the purchase

Already have updated your MAGIX Designer app to V17 (DPX, WD/P, PGD) and still want to use Designer Pro+?
    Don't worry, you can still do this. Simply send me an email to evak@xara.com or contact us via https://xara.com/contact-us/ and we will transfer your remaining credit over to your new Xara Cloud+ subscription.

As you can see with our TALKGRAPHICS voucher you won't pay more than around 100 €/ £/ $, and in case you have an upgraded to v17 and have an active update service, then we will provide credit onto the Xara Cloud+ renewal date. I think this is an offer, that can't be refused

Whenever you have more questions to that, don't hesitate to contact me via evak@xara.com.

I am always happy to help - stay tuned

Best,
    Eva

Product Manager @xara

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    shipen, you wouldn't pick Team+ as a sole trader, you would pick Pro+.
    The subscription model for Pro+ is not complicated.
    • Annual - (£17/m) == £204/y
    • Monthly - £23/m == (£276/y) - use this if you can develop in one-month chunks and don't mind squinting the rest of the time.

Have a read of https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...527#post623527.
    If you buy in now, you get a free trial, I think 14 days with another 14 days if you ask.
    Also, Xara is offering a 50% introduction during CV-19 pressures so the first annual cost is down to £102.

So keep XDPXv17 loaded as it is perpetual. Ensure it is on two machines and you have populated your local cache with Download All.
    Do not pay for the Magix Upgrade Service until you need it, e.g., if it delivers the HiDPI upgrade and you are at the end of your Pro+ subscription.
    Benefit from the Xara upgrades being slightly ahead of the Magix deliveries and potentially with more capability and UI improvements.
    Get faster responses from Xara with its on-line Intercom Help.
    Use Cloud+ > Share > Share to Web to let a client see a website on-line at no cost to you or the client: bad example - http://shared.xara.com/BiO2kkpUGB.
    Introduce Client to Cloud+ by adding as a Guest to then be able to amend your design! Personally, I am considering factoring in this to my Maintenance contracts with Clients as the interaction is going to be far more effective than the current email and screenshot bounces.
    This last, I asked Xara about. If you add a Member to your Team, they too can download and run two instances of Pro+. I suspect Xara is indicating this is possible under a Team+ account. A clarification here might be useful.

For for the trial period and a discounted one-year subscription, it is effectively costing you £8/m.
    You would save this in two fewer shop coffees. You are less likely to need the caffeine anyhow as you can see the Xara furniture more clearly.

The only remaining issue is the size of overlap of your remaining Magix Update Service.
    The more it is the more likely you have to get the HiDPI update; the less means it is going to be cheaper.
    You have to decide where the sweet spot is.
    I already did and bought in early.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn,

Thanks for this summary! Regarding your question: If you add a Member to your Team, they too can download and run two instances of Pro+. I suspect Xara is indicating this is possible under a Team+ account. A clarification here might be useful.

Exactly if you want to use Designer Pro+ in a team you need to go for the team subscription plan, i.e. Team+.

Have a great evening!

Best,
    Eva

Product Manager @xara

that's good to know, both summary [acorn] and clarification [eva]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

TBH, my head is swimming with all this. To get clear, are we saying that:

1. Customers can only buy a standalone copy of Xara from the [German] company Magix?

2. And that if a customer buys from xara.com (which presumably is the [UK] company that wrote the original versions of Xara) then the customer is compelled to buy something that comes with Cloud. In fact you can't truly "buy" anything all you can do is rent it via a subscription?

3. That there is a Covid-induced sale running that gives customers 50% off.

4. What about those of us who participated in the HiDPI Beta Testing...?

Let me declare my hand a little.

A) I am a very long-term fan of Xara (since Xara Studio in 1994!)

B) I even helped test Pro+

C) But as an entrepreneur/sole trader I am only a sporadic user of Xara Designer. I tend to use it very intensively for short periods and then sometimes not at all for many months.

D) For this reason I personally HATE the subscription model with a passion. I do NOT want to suddenly find that I can't edit my own files if I'm running low on money. I am more than happy to not upgrade my software if business conditions don't justify paying of the upgrade.

Look, subscriptions may work well for large stable companies and yes they may also make finance directors in software houses feel pleased with themselves, but they are the absolute death of small, nimble, entrepreneurial companies and sole traders.

So partly as a point of principle, I refuse point-blank to pay for my software by subscription.

Why is all this so darned complicated? I really don't have time for this.

OK for now I shall just sit this out.

J

UPDATE: Right on queue, Xara Team <info@mail.xara.com> just sent me an email saying "We are preparing for something BIG".
    So I shall wait for Something Big.
    Last edited by shiphen; 29 June 2020 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    TBH, my head is swimming with all this. To get clear, are we saying that:

1. Customers can only buy a standalone copy of Xara from the [German] company Magix? YES
    2. And that if a customer buys from xara.com (which presumably is the [UK] company that wrote the original versions of Xara) then the customer is compelled to buy something that comes with Cloud. In fact you can't truly "buy" anything all you can do is rent it via a subscription? YES
    3. That there is a Covid-induced sale running that gives customers 50% off. YES
    4. What about those of us who participated in the HiDPI Beta Testing...? I might have thought there would have been some reward...

Let me declare my hand a little.
    A) I am a very long-term fan of Xara (since Xara Studio in 1994!) Many beat you
    B) I even helped test Pro+ YES
    C) But as an entrepreneur/sole trader I am only a sporadic user of Xara Designer. I tend to use it very intensively for short periods and then sometimes not at all for many months. Then use XDPX and wait for HiDPI or buy in sporadically
    D) For this reason I personally HATE the subscription model with a passion. I do NOT want to suddenly find that I can't edit my own files if I'm running low on money. I am more than happy to not upgrade my software if business conditions don't justify paying of the upgrade. Your files are still editable; I always back-check to an earlier version automatically

Look, subscriptions may work well for large stable companies and yes they may also make finance directors in software houses feel pleased with themselves, but they are the absolute death of small, nimble, entrepreneurial companies and sole traders. No - I manage by subscribing only if I need it and use freeware (or build my own as I have the capability)

So partly as a point of principle, I refuse point-blank to pay for my software by subscription. You did ask
    Why is all this so darned complicated? I really don't have time for this.
    OK for now I shall just sit this out.
    J
    shipen, if you have followed my total detest of the Update Service in it present form, you will realise I do not roll over.

I used to pay a fortune for Adobe products and then got wise. I might drop Xara Designer Pro+ in due course but I can actual see it has got merit. If you build and support a couple of websites a year professionally then it will pay for itself.

You have fall-back licences to Xara Studio and most still cut the mustard.
    If a later version has a feature you haven't then ask in TG.

You don't want Cloud+ and I am sure Xara will be weighing this up but at present it has to promote Xara Cloud as it has burnt through a lot of start-up money and needs to deliver a robust revenue stream.

Hypothetically, I could form a loose grouping of Xara Desktop application designers. I might call it Team TG. I then set up a Team+ account and provided I can convince more than two others to "join" then I could bill each £132/y, so my use of Xara's bundle would drop from £17/m to £11/m, as would the others. I have added a mark-up of 10% for admin and and other handling costs.

The gain is Team TG would be able to share assets through Cloud+ for no extra charge and the members would no longer be alone.
    If we got to a membership of say 50+, I would actually raise the charge to £12.50/m each to pay for time to collate material into an XDA Knowledge Base (XKB).
    The XKB would become a tangible asset that could be sold separately to any corporate entity, say Xara, at an equitable price. Let's try £250/m.
    All members of Team TG would be partners and though AGMs we could allocate revenues fairly, with the usual posturing and arguments that such meetings engender! Those who want to leave would lose their share but could negotiate for another to buy their place so they could recoup remaining fees.

Those who don't want to use the Cloud+ and the XKB declare this at the AGM and are rebated back to £11/m.

@All - PM me if you want to partake and I will put my head to it and speak to Xara about its viability.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hehe, sometimes I think I've accidentally signed into the wrong forum!
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

I feel dizzy