Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
- remember [pre Xara GmbH] when so much was made of the fact that the [magix] update service was not a subscription service in the 'adobe' sense... and here we are, with just that now on offer...
Sadly, the Magix Update Service (MUS) still exists with its defects. Xara GmbH is targeting a different market with its Bundle+:
  • MUS - perpetual licence at activation date version after MUS expiry.
  • Xara Bundle+ - Cloud+ & Pro+ on subscription at latest version, no Magix involvement.

I have said before, the current Bundle+ offer effectively costs nothing different to a MUS renewal.
At the end of the subscription, you can revert to MUS and renew that or continue with Bundle+ (at twice the cost).

The point I am making is to try Bundle+ for a year is worth it for the non-Magix support and the access to quicker Updates and Patch Releases. MUS will get there possibly within the year so a continuation or transfer back to MUS loses little.
We received a Patch Release within a fortnight, a record.

For the professional designer, the cost is easily absorbed in two or more projects. Cloud+ will become the exchange mechanism with a client as I have just demonstrated to myself with a new client.
For the hobbyist, there is really not much to incentivise a MUS renewal annually so holding back and exploiting a Magix or Xara offer is recommended until there is a new (bedded-in) feature you must have.

For those not aware, Xara Cloud (+) is a Xara Designer Pro X (XPDX) running on a server with a browser from any device as the User Interface.
It is still lacking in all XDPX features, which is where Pro+ come in as the latest Pro Desktop version is bundled with Cloud+ (as a subscription).

Xara probably has a contract with Magix not to directly compete against it and I think the subscription model is Xara's way around the legalities.

Acorn