Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Start an external program

Hello,
    Is it possible to start an external portable program from a webpage created by Xara WebDesign?
    On my own internal dashboard page (no internet used) made with Xara I want to include a webpage with a list of usefull standalone tools that i'm regularly using and start them from that webpage.
    As I said above, all webpages are on my local netwerk since it is only for internal use.
    Thanks
    Frank

Default Re: Start an external program

Quote Originally Posted by GK5 View Post
    Hello,
    Is it possible to start an external portable program from a webpage created by Xara WebDesign?
    On my own internal dashboard page (no internet used) made with Xara I want to include a webpage with a list of usefull standalone tools that i'm regularly using and start them from that webpage.
    As I said above, all webpages are on my local netwerk since it is only for internal use.
    Thanks
    Frank
    Frank, perfectly possible.

The simplest approach is a quick demo.

I have Portable Apps on my I:\ Drive.
    The Shortcut is I:\PortableApps\Start.exe.
    You would create a Link in Xara to file:///I:\PortableApps\Start.exe.
    So all you need is prepend "file:///"; and, yes, there are three slashes.

That's it.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@Acorn

Thanks, this is already helpfull.
    But I have still a few problems:

1) My program is located at: c:\StandAlone Apps\Autoruns V13.51\Autoruns.exe
    As in Windows I have used quotes around the path since there are spaces in it: file:///"c:\StandAlone Apps\Autoruns V13.51\Autoruns.exe"
    Seems this is not working.

2) When i start a program this way I always become the security-messages.
    The first is comming from Windows saying: Security Warning - Execute or Save (I select Execute)
    The second is comming from Xara saying: Do you want to execute this software - Execute or Not Execute (I select Execute)
    Then the program is started.

Do you known a solution for those two problems.

PS: the error-messages are free translations from Dutch

GK5, Just replace file:///"c:\StandAlone Apps\Autoruns V13.51\Autoruns.exe" with file:///c:\StandAlone%20Apps\Autoruns%20V13.51\Autoruns.ex e or file:///c:/StandAlone%20Apps/Autoruns%20V13.51/Autoruns.exe
    You need to use the unescape code for a Space (%20).

Mine would be file:///
    I:\PortableApps\PortableApps\AutorunsPortable\App\ Autoruns\autorunsc64.exe and I get the same messages.
    You would have to create a Shortcut and for that Shortcut > Advanced Properties, set the Shortcut to Run as administrator.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks, this is working.
    I still get the message from Windows to select Execute or Save, even with a .lnk file.
    I suppose this is something form the OS and not possible to skip.
    Frank

-1-
    Still experiment with the above, I was wondering if it is possible to include also parameters for the program.
    I'v tried this to open a specific folder in the right window of Total Commander.
    file:///C:\program%20files\Wincmd\TOTALCMD64.EXE%20(/O%20/R="e:\Box%20Sync\TotCmd")
    But this is not working. Giving me the message: This page is not accessible.

-2-
    Is there an url where I can find information about the: file:/// ?

Thanks
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by GK5 View Post
    -1-
    Still experiment with the above, I was wondering if it is possible to include also parameters for the program.
    I'v tried this to open a specific folder in the right window of Total Commander.
    file:///C:\program%20files\Wincmd\TOTALCMD64.EXE%20(/O%20/R="e:\Box%20Sync\TotCmd")
    But this is not working. Giving me the message: This page is not accessible.

-2-
    Is there an url where I can find information about the: file:/// ?

Thanks
    Frank
    Frank, a quick guess is you need it to be:
    file:///C:\program%20files\Wincmd\TOTALCMD64.EXE%20(/O%20/R="file:///e:\Box%20Sync\TotCmd")

Some info here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pre...67731(v=vs.85).

For a network location: file://hostname/path/to/the%20file.txt
    Or for a local file, the hostname is omitted, but the slash is not (the third slash): file:///c:/path/to/the%20file.txt

The authority is RFC8089: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8089.

Acorn

@Acorn

Thanks for your answer but unfortunately it's not working until now.
    I have tried several variations (see below) but al of them are resulting in the message This page is not accessible.

Variations I've tried:

file:///C:\program%20files\Wincmd\TOTALCMD64.EXE%20(/O%20/R="file:///e:\Box%20Sync\TotCmd")

file:///C:\program%20files\Wincmd\TOTALCMD64.EXE%20(/O%20/R=file:///e:\Box%20Sync\TotCmd\)

file:///C:\program%20files\Wincmd\TOTALCMD64.EXE%20/O%20/R=file:///e:\Box%20Sync\TotCmd\

file:///C:\program%20files\Wincmd\TOTALCMD64.EXE%20/O%20/R="file:///e:\Box%20Sync\TotCmd"\

Frank

Sorry Frank, as I don't have Total Commander, I cannot really dig into it any further.

Acorn