Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: North East SPCA

Default North East SPCA

revamped. Www.northeastspca.org.

I’d like a little more speed in the mobile view. On page speed I’m in the higher amber ranges.

Thanks to Chris, Acorn and Egg. I used a pop up design technique navigation on mobile variant.

Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: North East SPCA

Bill - Know that when you post in Web Gallery that the posts are moderated until one of us notices and approves the post. So if there is a delay after you post, that is the reason.

I'm not sure the text rotating into the rectangle is the best animation. It's kind of gimmicky. I would opt for a simple fade. Also there is no mouse-over for the nav buttons. Mouse over lets the visitor know that the buttons are working IMO.

If I lived closer, Johnny would have a forever home. :-)

Thanks Gary. I did wonder about the animation in the text. Thanks. I think I might head for a fade it. For the mobile design I settled on a pop up this time. I am working on rollovers as well, but I’m a touch rusty. I was a little concerned about speed as well.
    Page descriptions have helped greatly for search, and best practice I must name the larger images.
    The largest placeholder fetch is the animals of course.

Thank You for the suggestions.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Thanks Gary. I did wonder about the animation in the text. Thanks. I think I might head for a fade it. For the mobile design I settled on a pop up this time. I am working on rollovers as well, but I’m a touch rusty. I was a little concerned about speed as well.
    Page descriptions have helped greatly for search, and best practice I must name the larger images.
    The largest placeholder fetch is the animals of course.

Thank You for the suggestions.
    Bill, even setting it to just animate once will help. You get minimal animation but it still gets spotted.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

On page speed I’m in the higher amber ranges.
    Bill, that puzzles me. On both your site above and the museum one your scores appear to be knocked down because of the 'Largest Contentful Paint' namely the puppy photo which is tiny. It's only 11Kb. It could be the distance from UK to Canada but I very much doubt it. Perhaps it's your server provider?

As an example I have set up a test page (Main & Mobile) using your contents of your index page minus a navbar. I've published it, link below.

Using Page Speed Index I get a very high score for this copy of your index page. So it puzzles me why yours is low and has such a delay. 3.7 seconds!

Try my mock of your index page and compare the two on Page Speed Index.

A couple of points that may change the results is my sites have compress text, html, javascript, css, xml: within the global .htaccess page as there is also global text, image compression.

Also look at the number of calls there are for images. These calls can be reduced fairly moderately by combining multiple images into one image. The overall image size wont be reduced but the call on the server is. For example the 3 volunteer images served as 1 and also the 8 sponsors images served as 1. As attached below.

MOCKUP

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	134630   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sponsors.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	134631  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	volunteers.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	134632  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

From someone who thinks you're both in places too cold to be habitable:
    Egg, your site loads instantly, Bill's takes a (maybe) second to load, but I wouldn't notice if I wasn't consciously looking for delays.

Cheers & thanks Chris but we're talking about Page Speed Insight ratings here. I can't understand why Bills is so low, there is no need for it to be so.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks Egg. Your mock up scores instantly. My mobile is not into green as yet. As you surmised I’ll check what you mentioned. I’ve added rollovers to the menu now. BUT I do not have all my images named. That may help.
    The images are as small as I can get them. If I reduce an indicated image, page insights will tell me that an another image is too large, like a map png. It’s a fine edge.

As well I’ll group and name those volunteer images and name as one.

Rebuilding all of my sites now paying particular attention to mobile. Astounding stats close to 70-80% for surfing on mobile. My rule on mobile now is graphic repeated head (your suggestion) and one pic per page. Also on mobile menu I’m building a menu page. I do like that idea. Looks good too; but I do know the shortcomings.

I do like CSS solutions, but sometimes it clashes with what XARA is for me, a designing tool.
    Last edited by bwood; 28 February 2024 at 01:16 PM.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design