Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do you make Collapsible/Expandible Text?

I see many, many websites can collapse/expand their text rather than scale it. The text re-aligns itself down as you narrow the browser and back out as you widen it. This provides a much more readable option than text that only scales (becomes too small or too big).

Even Xara's own company websites do this. And I'm pretty sure they're made with Web Designer (are they?).

Anybody know how to do it? Is there standard CSS code or other one can insert?

Wouldn't it be a neat feature? Right click on a text block: 'Make collapsible/expandible'.

Anybody?

Seamus

Default Re: How do you make Collapsible/Expandible Text?

Seamus, you have missed the whole point of Xara and Adaptive pages. Xara has chosen to go for a WYSIWYG approach turning web design into a graphical presentation over code.

If you try and code for this you find Xara has text pixel-placed in SPANs.
    Handling text in SPANs is problematic, especially when you introduce justification.

Yes, it is possible to convert these all to a DIV with Name htmlblocktext.
    The trickier part is defining the width of the DIV thereafter.
    I have used 50vw as a demo but you actual have to start on all DIVs' widths and the calculations are messy.
    The way ahead would be to introduce a Responsive Grid-View.

Xara indicated an "all-web" solution was on the cards.
    I read that to be Responsive pages, which is what you are after.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Seamus, you have missed the whole point of Xara and Adaptive pages. Xara has chosen to go for a WYSIWYG approach turning web design into a graphical presentation over code.

If you try and code for this you find Xara has text pixel-placed in SPANs.
    Handling text in SPANs is problematic, especially when you introduce justification.

Yes, it is possible to convert these all to a DIV with Name htmlblocktext.
    The trickier part is defining the width of the DIV thereafter.
    I have used 50vw as a demo but you actual have to start on all DIVs' widths and the calculations are messy.
    The way ahead would be to introduce a Responsive Grid-View.

Xara indicated an "all-web" solution was on the cards.
    I read that to be Responsive pages, which is what you are after.

Acorn
    Thanks, Acorn. Scaling text is not such a problem, really, once one figures out the right font sizes. But I'm sure Xara will come up with the 'all-web' solution soon enough. They're a smart bunch and we can't let the 'competition' get ahead of us!

Seamus

I don't think Xara is going to come up with this soon, but that would be wonderful! Years ago I came up with a work-around that works very well, using a JotForm. Here's the result - https://yourdesignsonline.com/MadAbo...ht%20here!.htm

Quote Originally Posted by marjorie View Post
    I don't think Xara is going to come up with this soon, but that would be wonderful! Years ago I came up with a work-around that works very well, using a JotForm. Here's the result - https://yourdesignsonline.com/MadAbo...ht%20here!.htm
    Thanks, Marjorie. I'll check that out!

Lightbulb Re: How do you make Collapsible/Expandible Text?

Both, you may wish to read https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...-gt-Accordions.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Thanks Acorn. I'll check that out.

XByrne, I'm not 100% sure what your aiming for here. Is it an text accordian as in a FAQ's type page or having the page (+ text) shrink & grow with the page width?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host