Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Cannot Import Video - Error Message

Every Time I try to load a simple video into web designer 17, I get a "Failed to Load webpage for preview generation"

It is a simple mp4 video only 3 min long.

I went to the content catalog and have only youtube for videos it seems. No Dice, so will upload it directly (Video not on youtube)

It asks if I want autostart or not, then I get that error above and no video is inserted in the website.

Any ideas wassup or how to insert a simple video into my website?
    Last edited by drtechnology; 17 June 2020 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Cannot Import Video - Error Message

from what little I know about this having done either have you made a place holder then uploaded your video? About the absence of our you tube video
    hppefully you still have the original to use as a backup and try to upload again. I imagine one of the others will be along to give you the proper help.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    from what little I know about this having done either have you made a place holder then uploaded your video? About the absence of our youtube video
    hppefully you still have the original to use as a backup and try to upload again. I imagine one of the others will be along to give you the proper help.
    No Placeholder, I did check the help docs which say to simply go to import and then let =the program import it, then resize the placeholder created on import which contains the video file. Yes, I have the original, it was never put on youtube there is no youtube account lol.

I just do not understand that error or what it means - I tried searching that error message not many here talk about it - so hopefully my installation is fudged up or something simple that can be fixed easily

you could try closing the program and then running it as administrator - it may not work, but if it does you don't need to do it again
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Did that Already lol. It had an issue when opening 1st time and saw about doing that - this is my 5th time in the program starting it as admin lol. Just upgraded to v17 too - I have used the program more than 5x - been using it few years now lol - never had this issue in v16

fair enough always worth a try... well I hope one of the web experts comes along with a solution...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    fair enough always worth a try... well I hope ne of the web experts comes along with a solution...
    Me too

Create a rectangle, select it and in Web Properties select placeholder-body. Insert the following:

<iframe name=videoiFrame src=jan_2011.mp4 width=640 height=540 scrolling=no frameborder=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0></iframe>
    Change the src to match your mp4's name. Provided the mp4 is in the same folder as your webpage it will load. Use filezilla or similar to uplaod your mp4.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Info Re: Cannot Import Video - Error Message

Quote Originally Posted by drtechnology View Post
    Every Time I try to load a simple video into web designer 17, I get a "Failed to Load webpage for preview generation"
    It is a simple mp4 video only 3 min long.
    I went to the content catalog and have only youtube for videos it seems. No Dice, so will upload it directly (Video not on youtube)
    It asks if I want autostart or not, then I get that error above and no video is inserted in the website.
    Any ideas wassup or how to insert a simple video into my website?
    Does this particular MP4 get added to your design correctly in v16?
    Also try with another MP4. I am sure you will have some somewhere on your machine.

Open your Bitmap gallery and check you have two new bitmaps: one is a black background with controls when is is not autostart. Otherwise the second is the same, both showing the first frame.
    Does you get these?
    Have you tried autostart and not autostarting?

The video should also be tucked away in %localappdata%\XaraTempSupportFolders\ as an external asset. The sub-folder here also should hold all the player files.

I have just tried with a clutch of MP4s here with no problem.

A manual approach:
    1. Create a large Black Rectangle.
    2. Select it and then press Shift+Ctrl+Alt+A and pick and Open the MP4. It is added into your design. This bypasses the XaraTempSupportFolders folder.
    3. Go to Web Properties > Placeholder > HTML Code (Body) and insert:
    4. Code:
      <video class="xar_meplayer" src="index_htm_files/20180602_115441.mp4" controls autoplay width = "100%" height="100%"/>
      The red part is the filename of your added MP4. autoplay is optional. You can remove the xara class and reply on the browser to sort things out. This produces an "invalid file" image but the video still works.
    5. If Regenerate is unticked, tick it and click Apply. In either case, a single preview image should occur. [Report if you get a fail here]
    6. Run Preview.

Acorn

P.S. Just read Egg's Post. Mine ensure the MP4 is loaded as an internal Xara asset. Otherwise little difference. Do try both.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Guys will try these tomorrow evening when I have more time to work on site!