Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Why extra space to the right of my website?

When I view my website on iPhone, sometimes I can slide my site to the left and there's space on the right - like the pasteboard. If I hit menu and choose another page, the site clicks back into position (ie no space on the right). Some pages, if I pinch in, reveal the space on the right. Others don't at all.

Same happens when iPhone is in landscape mode.

It doesn't happen at all on my iPad. Interestingly, this takes the variant from 768px up to 1080px.
    So, I guess it's just the lower variant that's causing it: 767px and down.

Any ideas?

Seamus

Default Re: Why extra space to the right of my website?

Seamus,

Now you have upgraded from v11 to v17, you have a new toy: Utilities/Web Export Options/Scale-to-fit-Width.

There is a multitude of different opinions on variants and S-t-f-W, but all my sites use a 480px width for the mobile variant and either 1080px or 1200px for the desktop width. I set the maximum width in most cases to be the same size as the desktop.

Apple's iphone(s) and ipad(s) appear to work fine with these two variants using Scale-to-fit-Width. IMO it is also easier managing two rather than three variants - there is plenty written about this here on TG and elsewhere, so you need to make your own judgement.

If you do use StfW, just squeeze your desktop browser and you will see the effect.

Gary

I'll have a go at installing X17 tomorrow.

Looking forward to it!

Seamus

Hi again, Gary. Just now installed Pro X17. My goodness, there's a lot of stuff in there. And, as I had hoped, the Xara Audio Player in this version scales and works perfectly across all devices.

Interestingly, when I opened Pro X17 for the first time (after installing the Content Catalogue and Magix Panorama modules) the Local Designs Gallery is completely empty, except for folders (which are empty). When I click the '+more' I'm sent online and can add from there. I like to have everything on my PC, so on right clicking any of the folders there's a 'Download All' button. Pressing that seems to fill up the folders which then get an 'Updated' notification beside them.

Is that all normal, or should the folders be filled already?

Seamus

You're on the right track Seamus and that is what should happen.

I have never really understood why auto-load was not implemented, or why a new user does not get a nudge to hit download all, rather than second guess it was necessary.

Have fun with Pro v17.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    Seamus,

Now you have upgraded from v11 to v17, you have a new toy: Utilities/Web Export Options/Scale-to-fit-Width.

There is a multitude of different opinions on variants and S-t-f-W, but all my sites use a 480px width for the mobile variant and either 1080px or 1200px for the desktop width. I set the maximum width in most cases to be the same size as the desktop.

Apple's iphone(s) and ipad(s) appear to work fine with these two variants using Scale-to-fit-Width. IMO it is also easier managing two rather than three variants - there is plenty written about this here on TG and elsewhere, so you need to make your own judgement.

If you do use StfW, just squeeze your desktop browser and you will see the effect.

Gary
    Just on the StfW, my current website has variants 456 and 1080 (breakpoint 768px), so I'm thinking I should set the max StfW to 1080?

I can see how that works on a desktop from 768px up to 1080px. Does it also work on the desktop from 768px down?

And, does StfW affect devices, since iPhone/iPad, etc. do their own scaling anyway?

Yes, I'm enjoying Pro X17!

Seamus

Hi Gary,

Answering my own question here. I set my max StfW to my website width - 1080px. Works like a dream. Very nice!

Everything's working fine now with the Pro X17 upgrade.

Only small 'thing' I notice is on iPhone and iPad, there's a small 'gap' or indent on either side of navigation bar and footer. On PC, the navigation bar and footer extend all the way across. Not a problem, really. Just wonder what the cause might be?

Seamus

Quote Originally Posted by XByrne View Post
    Just on the StfW, my current website has variants 456 and 1080 (breakpoint 768px), so I'm thinking I should set the max StfW to 1080?

I can see how that works on a desktop from 768px up to 1080px. Does it also work on the desktop from 768px down?

And, does StfW affect devices, since iPhone/iPad, etc. do their own scaling anyway?

Yes, I'm enjoying Pro X17!

Seamus
    With 456px and 1080px Xara gives you the breakpoint at 768px and suggests a maximum of 1280px. As you might expect, if you set the maximum above the page size, StfW scales up the website to the maximum you have set. The best idea is to see what your design looks like and make a judgement; I have used 1080px and 1280px. Much depends on the font/ font size, images and video content (when used). You get a feel for what happens if you squeeze the desktop browser - once it scales down from 768px your mobile variant will become visible in the desktop browser.

I have never had a problem with Apple (so I have not set out to find one). My go to test is to see what it looks like on an iPhone and iPad and Android Compact.

Gary