Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Bug Stuck in KDP print book upload of cover . . .

... daily trying for going on 4 weeks now. Accepted everything just fine thru the 394-pages PDF file. I'm stuck on the cover. In many tries, could not get a Xara DesignPro X9 PDF (1.07MB) to finish uploading; one day I read to use Chrome* rather than Firefox*. I tried ... couldn't even get into the KDP pages via Chrome. (multiple password changes required!) Back to Firefox, still no go with the PDF. Also had read to upload a .jpg version of the cover via Cover Creator.
    Designed an entirely new cover; exported as .jpg (3939x2780px, 300 dpi, 1.42MB), uploaded with Cover Creator; viewed, looked good to me, clicked Save & Submit. Done; back to the upload page. Success! it said. WRONG ... nothing there! 'Enter an ISBN number' it said; I already had, one of my own (13-digit). Launch Previewer (next step) grayed out; won't work; won't let me 'move on' to pricing, etc. What did I miss? Help much appreciated. Thank you. ~Helen~

P.S. Thank you Talkgraphics for the June birthday wishes!

* latest versions.
    Helen (Xara Designer Pro X9)
    www.pinpubstudio.com

Default Re: Stuck in KDP print book upload of cover . . .

Hi Helen, I know nowt about KDP but you could view this forum:

LINK
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg, thanks for the link. I visited ... does not solve my dilema. For months I have searched most of the KDP pages ... difficult to find a solution. Tried the phone number, too ... Ha! Got the message that due to the Corona Virus ... etc ... that service not available now. I shall keep trying; difficult to be "so close" to final submission and be stopped!
    www.pinpubstudio.com

The KDP forum is useless. Worse than useless.

I have done about 8 or 9 books now with KDP with the occasional problem. Once they did not let me publish because they did not like when I started numbering my pages.

I have no idea why your covers are not going through. I assume you have followed their instructions with bleed and spine dimensions.

If you click on Help in KDP you have the option (on the lower left side of the page) to Contact them by mail or by phone. Mail usually works and they do get back in a day or two.

Also, I am not sure what PDF options you have but PDF/X is the best format. And the later the version the better. Design Pro X 17 has PDF/X4. I seem to remember having some issues with PDF/X1.

June 23, 2020 -- My print book* HAS made it to Amazon via KDP. Trouble with the cover not uploading was: I neglected to get back to Bowker/myidentities and REGISTER the ISBN! Duh. Very complex stuff, especially this first time. Thank you all for comments. I now must examine my myriad of pencil notes and make a plan for the next one. I am also considering IngramSpark as a 2nd run. (distribution!)
    Happy Day today. ~Helen~
    *Diabetes by Marriage: A Memoir (Online already, if you care to peek ... cover done in Xara DesignerPro X9)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/0941973190...2080_397514860
    www.pinpubstudio.com

Lot of problems with Ingram Spark, but they offer a lot more options including hard cover with book jackets. KDP seems to be neglected and is not being developed. Still, can't beat the price. They do offer free ISBN numbers but they list themselves as publisher.

Yes, I read a few items on both options (KDP & I/S) that did not appeal to me. Not one to jump-in without due diligence. So ... thanks again. This has been interesting, to say the least! One GOOD thing is, I will NOT again have boxes of books in the garage! and, I won't have to put in paperwork and shipping time! We'll see what happens ...
    www.pinpubstudio.com