Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Page Auto-Resizing not working for me

I'm using Xara Designer Pro X11. Currently I'm making up a website.

I want to add some images to various places on my pages. Having seen some tutorial videos showing how all the existing elements move down the page, and the page automatically resizes with everything perfectly in place in relation to each other, I proceed to add my image. But, nothing on the page moves!

I've read about 'Position on page', 'Push', etc., but no matter what I do, nothing moves or doesn't move properly.

I've tried making all the elements on the page set to 'Push', and the image I'm adding set to 'Push' and that seems to move things along. However, when they move, they overlap, the page doesn't move down fully, etc., etc.

It looks so simple in the tutorial videos - set the image (you're adding) to 'Push' or 'Repel', then everything on the page moves down nicely, retaining gaps, etc.

Am I missing something? (The page sizes are not locked).

In case this is the cause: initially, I changed the width of my webpage to 1080px. But I changed it back to the preset 940px, thinking perhaps only the preset page auto-resizes. But that didn't help.

Any suggestions most welcome!

Seamus

Default Re: Page Auto-Resizing not working for me

Seamus, difficult to determine what you or the program is not doing to expectations.

So start with nothing on the page Pushing - Select All > Push: untick Push > Apply.

Drop an image onto the page.
    Put is over another Shape.

Select All> Push: tick Push > Apply.

Everything should rearrange and the page will probably extend.

Push acts as a push-down utility. So select and drag down any shape and those vertically underneath will be moved down and, crucially, the page bottom will grow down too.
    Reverse the drag and the page shrinks.

When things are in proximity and being kept apart by the Push parameters then rearranging things appear strange.
    Things at the top still drag lower ones up. So if you butt a higher object onto a lower one, you get this sticking effect. You have to drag the lower one down or nudge it by 1px to unstick.

It works across layers

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn,

When you say So start with nothing on the page Pushing - Select All > Push: untick Push > Apply. is that 'Position on page', 'Push' and tick 'Push'? Or is there a button I am not seeing?

Seamus

Quote Originally Posted by XByrne View Post
    Thanks Acorn,

When you say So start with nothing on the page Pushing - Select All > Push: untick Push > Apply. is that 'Position on page', 'Push' and tick 'Push'? Or is there a button I am not seeing?

Seamus
    This can be a bit daunting when you first start to look at Push /Reveal-under-text.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Push_Reveal under Text.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	127243

Attached is a working example with some explanation about using both and the effects they have on the page.

Hopefully it sets you in the right direction.

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by XByrne View Post
    Thanks Acorn,
    Seamus
    Seamus, I missed out the bits you are asking for as you said you had done it before.

You can assess Push with Shift+Ctrl+H or Select All > Right-click > (Context menu): Push.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Gary and Acorn!

I'll have a look at those and get back to you.

Seamus

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    This can be a bit daunting when you first start to look at Push /Reveal-under-text.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Push_Reveal under Text.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	127243

Attached is a working example with some explanation about using both and the effects they have on the page.

Hopefully it sets you in the right direction.

Gary
    Thanks for that, Gary. I think I have a grasp of it now.

Seamus