Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Info Working with Xara Local Resources

For years, I have bemoaned the loss of Find in the Local Designs gallery. Xara has chosen the Web Cloud route so that you can search for assets on-line up to the point you are out of Update Service cover.

Be warned. I have advised in many Threads the essential need to "Download Everything!" (c.f., UK's Marting Lewis's "Pay in Full!" mantra) to ensure you have sequestered your Xara assets locally.

It is with great delight to advise I have a search mechanism that works particularly well with your Cache.

The following a description for setting up searches into Xara Pro+; it will work for any XDA and its local cache.
    1. Download and install "Everything" - https://www.voidtools.com/faq/ as fits your machine OS.
      1. I chose mine to not run on start and set it to open with admin privileges.

2. "Everything" is a search engine that locates files and folders by filename instantly for Windows.
      1. Unlike Windows search "Everything" initially displays every file and folder on your computer (hence the name "Everything").
      2. You type in a search filter to limit what files and folders are displayed.

3. Using Search > Add to Filters, I created a simple filter:
      1. Name: Pro+v17
      2. Search: *\Xara\XtremeProSub\17\Cache\designs\eng\*.x*
        1. This effectiely unpacked all *.xar & *.xwr files into one large viewing area.
        2. I have 16,529 objects and no drag in performance.

3. Keyboard Shortcut: Alt+C

4. I then set View > Medium Thumbnails.

In use open "Everything", press Alt+C and in the top address line type something - face..., table, smar...
    A double click will open a *.xar file for editing but typically you just drag and drop onto your design page.

What it is not too good for is searching inside files.
    I still use Notepad++ > Search in Files against all the catindex.txt files to locate a Description.
    You could include these files by changing the Search to *\Xara\XtremeProSub\17\Cache\designs\eng\*.*x*.
    I rarely now have the need.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Working with Xara Local Resources

I've been using FileLocator Lite for several years and find it very efficient. The free version (Lite) does search inside some files such as PDFs and text files, etc. I have also used it to find files for my wife that her PC has put in strange out-of-the-way places. It is as quick as lightning and only runs when you use it. Searches are fully configurable and can be saved for future use. It is from https://www.mythicsoft.com

Default Re: Working with Xara Local Resources

I use grepWin (https://tools.stefankueng.com/grepWin.html) for this kind of thing. The great feature is its ability to jump to the exact location inside the search results. It is open source and free. I use it mostly for PHP code.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    What it is not too good for is searching inside files.
    I still use Notepad++ > Search in Files against all the catindex.txt files to locate a Description.
    You could include these files by changing the Search to *\Xara\XtremeProSub\17\Cache\designs\eng\*.*x*.
    I rarely now have the need.

Acorn