Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NYT Novel Treatment of an Old Yet Very Topical Issue

I was intrigued by this, to me, novel way of telling a topical story using an old B&W image as its center piece, reaffirming and accentuating the original sense of frozen-in-time absurdity and horror that the photographer captured.
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...americans.html

Default Re: NYT Novel Treatment of an Old Yet Very Topical Issue

nice photograph[s]

I would treat the blurb the same way I treat the writings of a theatre critic
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

reflecting I think I might expand to explain what I mean:

One pair...[of hands]... belongs to the young white boy, who grasps the mullion with the entitled assurance of someone who knows his birthright
    not what I see

what I see is a young lad who is insecure but not wanting to show it, not sure of how to react to what is going on, and is holding on for support, maybe even subconciously, comfort

who knows, were were not there, we are not mind readers.. chattering class woffle [thats yorkie for hot air] - it's the curse of the modern age opinion is worth more that analysis.. think I'll go write a blog about it...not
    Nothing lasts forever...

I think someone’s been staring at a photograph too long and giving pretentious assumptions.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

nice work if you can get it...
    Nothing lasts forever...

I think the photograph and the accompanying essay is very well observed.

I have lived in the United States as a citizen born here for 78 1/2 years. I love my country. But we have a lot to answer for. We have been the land of opportunity for many but also a land of persecution and oppression for others. Being born white and middle class has afforded me privileges not afforded to others.

For the young black man sitting in the back of the trolley, being treated as a second class citizen, with little hope to better himself is a regrettable and sad fact of life. And as you know from watching the news, not much has changed.

I do not want to get political here. So I will leave it that it was a poignant and reflective essay and a nice use of web technology to tell the story.

I am with you Gary, on the racism, and the segregation, and the [abuse of] priviliage - and all the other things that stem from the British Empire taking advantage of slavery that already existed [something not often mentioned] in africa and india and elsewhere, rather than doing anything to stop it

however that child does not have the attribute of 'entitled assurance', it is not supported by the body language or expression in my opinion

I'll stay clear of the politics and say no more about that
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    nice photograph[s]

I would treat the blurb the same way I treat the writings of a theatre critic
    I agree. I get fed up with interpretations presented as fact, when in reality they are just opinion. I almost laughed when he showed a picture of Jesus then compared the four white buttons to a cross! And what's the point of introducing doubt over whether the driver is a man or a woman, how does that change things?

Of course the facts are presented, like the segregated seating arrangements, and (in my opinion) are powerful enough alone, to tell the terrible ongoing story of racism.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

spot on Jono there is a lot more to that NYT article than the tram photo, I think Egg got it right - pretentious
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    reflecting I think I might expand to explain what I mean:

One pair...[of hands]... belongs to the young white boy, who grasps the mullion with the entitled assurance of someone who knows his birthright
    not what I see

what I see is a young lad who is insecure but not wanting to show it, not sure of how to react to what is going on, and is holding on for support, maybe even subconciously, comfort

who knows, were were not there, we are not mind readers.. chattering class woffle [thats yorkie for hot air] - it's the curse of the modern age opinion is worth more that analysis.. think I'll go write a blog about it...not

Handrawn, what about both -- yours and the author's -- interpretations being right? The boy might be insecure as a child often is while growing up and, at the same time, he can be confident that he will not be treated as the African Americans were at that time. Perhaps this double standard even confuses him and he, as such, embodies this.

The NYT presentation is an artist's attempt at laying bare some of the harsh and ugly dynamics and roots of racism. It talks to us all, whatever our individual or shared identity.

To me this artwork is about the pain of denying the truth that we’re all human and, hence, equal. There’s the pain that's felt by those who are on the receiving end of injustice and there’s the pain that’s unfelt by those who self-righteously impose it.
    Last edited by Boy; 15 June 2020 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Grammar