Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Remove embedded text.

It seems that I have embedded text on my site after pasting from a Word document. This appears to mean that the links cease to work. How can I remove the embedding and replace in MouseOff layer? I have tried various options without success.
    I am using Xara Designer Pro 11.
    http://lc4mkm.xara.hosting/orientdia...entdiary-a.htmorientdiary3.xar

Smile Re: Remove embedded text.

Emmo, it was a bit of a mess so I changed it to an A5 1-column Print document and Copied & Pasted across, added the picture and caption separately and increased the font.

You have editorial work to remove spurious line feeds but mostly usable.

Orient Diary - Presentation.xar

Oh, almost forgot, the links now work too. Although I did not check them all.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Remove embedded text.

Thanks Acorn. What am I doing wrong? I have found by dragging and dropping a picture it does not get embedded but copying and pasting does. I have not found that is the case with text in the past. Maybe on this occasion I pasted into the embedded section. Do I need to pay more attention to the pasting options? Paste in current layer maybe, always presuming I am in the correct layer.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmo View Post
    Thanks Acorn. What am I doing wrong? I have found by dragging and dropping a picture it does not get embedded but copying and pasting does. I have not found that is the case with text in the past. Maybe on this occasion I pasted into the embedded section. Do I need to pay more attention to the pasting options? Paste in current layer maybe, always presuming I am in the correct layer.
    Not sure what you are asking. You had problems with Links, which I hope I sorted for you.
    All id did was set up a text area that grew into other pages. You can click on the bottom arrow and pick that yourself.

Now it's embedding images.

To embed an image, it has always been Copy the image, open the text tool, select the insertion point and right-click Paste XXX embedded.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Emmo, I think your problem was caused by your copying the content of a Word document then pasting it into Xara. I would never recommend this as Word documents contain many hidden characters. I can't test this directly as I no longer have Word installed. But from your original xar file the whole content is a single embedded group. The links don't work as when you publish your page it just creates one very large .jpg. No text at all.

I don't know how Acorn fixed it for you but the way I did it was to click on anything within the embeded group (not a white space) and select 'Open Embedded Group' This opens an Edit Inside Xara Tab. Select the photo and CTRL+X to cut it. Save the 'Edit Inside' page to return to the original, then Paste the photo back into the page. The photo will then remain as a single photo and all the text exports as text, links and all

Leyton Orient fans must have very good eyesight!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Cheers Egg, I just opened the file and did things (none of which were too complex). My aim was to sort the links.
    I assumed embedding the image was simple too.

What I did was double-click to get to the text.
    Another way is to expand the Embedded Group and select the Text Line (!), right-click and Move to current layer, all in the Page & Layer gallery.

I automatically then chose to use a Text Area that extends into a New Page when needed. Again, there are several ways to do this.
    Changing the font size then became obvious.

I look at what Xara has done and think that's clever and then why and how come next.
    I set myself a goal of working out a useful workflow to achieve something before I jump in.

I clearly am too close.

Acorn

I couldn't right click on any text which gave a 'Open Embedded Group' option. I double clicked on the photo which opened up the edit inside option, CTRL+X to cut it and saved it. Pasted it in MouseOff. Though the links worked I could not get the Repel Text Under the photo to work. I suspect the result of what you click on depends on the version of Xara you have. Went to the embbedded text in the Page and Layer Gallery and used the option to move to current layer then deleted the embedded text. Cut the picture and pasted it in and that worked.
    Thanks for your help. The Leyton Orient supporters do have good eyesight, no so sure about the players.

Emmo, good to hear back from you.

Acorn