Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thumbs down How many days is "a few"?

It's Thursday the 11th of June 2020 (or 6/11/2020 in American format) as I write this and for a week or so now I've been seeing a popup every time I start XDP17 which wants me to update my Update Service. I feel that if I do not comply, the popup will haunt me forever. I wonder how long Magix will actually persist.

On top of that, today I have received an email from Magix saying my "...update service is about to end" and "Your Update Service for XARA Designer Pro X will expire in just a few days", but I've checked and it is valid until early August! The special price of USD129 is not so special in Aussie dollars - about AU$200 after the currency conversion cost - so I'm sorry Xara and Magix, but it's "no way José". I just know those emails will keep coming too.

It's a shame that Magix are pushy to the point of making me think about opting out

Default Re: How many days is "a few"?

Depends how optimistic you are
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

If I don't mistake this the pop-up is about the update-checker program that is started along with the application. It wants to install an update to it and is not about extending the time you will get free application updates and have access to the online catalog. At least that is what I got a few days ago. I installed the update and the pop-up is gone for now.
    I agree that the name is very misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by siran View Post
    I agree that the name is very misleading.

+1
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

@ everyone my update service expired and try as I might i cannot find out how to renew that service only.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

One way is to log into your account at magix.com and make sure you get your country right (the little world icon at top right) so the amount is in the correct currency otherwise you may pay an inflated amount and have an extra charge for currency conversion. It's not easy, but worth it if you can save a few dollars

@jaydear. This pinned thread may help and explain. I got this message just a month after buy Xara. Every time they provide fixes or updates they push it as a major upgrade, no matter how small the fixes.

https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...Designer-Pro-X

-Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    ... Every time they provide fixes or updates they push it as a major upgrade...
    Yes, I know what you mean. An update/bugfix to the particular Xara product you open displays a grey window with options to download and update now or when closing the program, but the popup I'm referring to was different. It specifically said 'update service' which made me think they were harping on about upgrading the 12 month subscription to my Xara product. In fact though, as you say, it was an update to the update service. It'd be nice to know what they needed to update in there.

@jaydear. It’s confusing for sure. I also get that pop up every week or so. I click on update and get all the boxes and nothing is downloaded. This is another bug that’s outlined in a thread in WD section. I don’t know why this happens. I believe that ultimately all roads lead to a paid upgrade which you can refuse.
    If you wish just download a trial version of the program and use your original password given to you by Xara for version 17. I did that successfully. My year ends in November. But to receive the incrimental updates it’s best to do it this way.
    When your sub is expiring you’ll get emails,bells and whistles. If the date is close enough to the anniversary date of the program then you can renew your sub.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.