Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Info Casual Notes on Xara Cloud+ and Xara Pro+ Combo

I now have a proper licence for Xara Cloud+ and Xara Pro+.

This thread is to document what I find interesting or different between this Xara-supported combo and the "partnership" Magix with Xara (MagiXara hereafter).

Would contributors to this Thread include the Title Heading of any prior written section so it is easier to collate material? Use your own Heading for new material.

Offering
    There is only Xara Pro+, no Web Designer version.
    It is subscription only so it stops dead when you no longer pay for it; no messy Update Service! Do browse https://help-cloud-plus.xara.com before committing; it is a bit lightweight as Rob-Xar is handlling this and the MagiXara material so refer therr if there are specific XDPX questions but do ask Xara directly.
    Version releases are ahead of, and more frequent, than XDPX:

Some third-party bits are gone:

• EXIF tool.
    • Perspective Correction Tool.
    • PCFx live effects.
    • Panorama Studio (Panorama tool is still available).
    • Xara Slideshow Widget, is there but requires the MagiXara Xara Hosting! At cost!

@Xara+: What remedies are in place for the capabilities of the EXIF Tool and the Xara Slideshow Widget removal? Answered in #3.

First Install
    No need to uninstall your current Xara Desktop application. Keep around even if you no long update it; it will be your lifeline.
    Requires Internet access to sync with the Cloud+ online account.
    Install is quicker and cleaner as the MagiXara paraphernalia is not there.
    Updates are automatically advised, even across major version releases?
    Shift+Ctrl+Alt+1 no longer offers up the licence number (Camelot Debug Information).
    @Xara+: There is no PDF Manual! Answered in #2; no XDA menu option though.
    Remember to Download All into the Local Designs gallery. One could Copy & Paste from your existing Cache but you might miss out on the latest material/updates.
    New Help site - remember no links now to MagiXara: https://help-cloud-plus.xara.com. This landing page documents that v20 exists; currently Xara Designer Pro+ 20.0.0.59369 SL x64 Jun 4 2020.
    No MagiXara nag screens or offers!

Off-line Working
    Up to 30 days: https://help-cloud-plus.xara.com/art...ro-for-offline.
    @Xara+: How is this implemented? Answered in #3.

Cloud Working
    Best through setting up a Cloud Storage service:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cloud Storage.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	127190

Presently up to 1GB of cache downloaded; now done at 3.18GB and over 34,000 files - just up on XDPXv17.0.

Enjoy your day!

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 09 June 2020 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Linking forward to answers.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Casual Notes on Xara Cloud+ and Xara Pro+ Combo

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    @Xara+: There is no PDF Manual!
    They must have just added it: http://support-dl.xara.com/pdf/Versi...nerProPlus.pdf

@Xara+: What remedies are in place for the capabilities of the EXIF Tool and the Xara Slideshow Widget removal?
    We're planning replacements for these tools and features, hopefully within the next couple of updates. First update for XC has already gone out with another due very shortly as well.

@Xara+: How is this implemented?
    If you have an active Xara subscription, there is a token within the registry which contains the check date. If you take it offline, Xara will continue to open until the check date comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Cheers Boy, I tidied mine away into C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro+\HelpAndSupport\ENG\.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Bug "expect"Casual Notes on Xara Cloud+ and Xara Pro+ Combo

Previewing a Print Document or Presentation
    The default Template is a Print document.
    Xara defaults this (and a Presentation) to a Vertical Supersite.

If you Preview this (freshly minted) or change it to a Presentation, the display now shows the following:
    • Banner - "powered by xara" link to https://xara.com/ - brash and quite insidious.
    • A "Full screen" link - this is different to the original and still present Full screen (F11) so bear with me. It gets rid of Banner and Footer and renders the page with a jet black pasteboard.
    • A "Download" link - this now presents the page/site/presentation as XaraDocument.pdf.
      • I don't know what the PDF settings are.
      • This PDF can be prevented in Web Export Options: untick Include a PDF download.

• The Footer shows a set of page thumbnails to allow quick navigation of a site that has no Next/Previous links.

Issues:
    • Full screen reverting is pressing the Home icon. Esc, which reverted the original Full screen display, actually closes the Preview.
    • The Download link opens the PDF in an IE (!!!!) browser.
      • Do not import such a file with name XaraDocument.pdf onto your design; I am sure it will cause havoc.

• Selecting any of the available browser icons opens the site/presentation or as expected but you are stuck with the Banner and Footer. Full screen removes these but at the expense of losing the browser furniture. There is no way to view the page as I "expect" my end-user to. [One could add code to hide #xr_pgmn1 & #xr_pgrgalc]!

@Xara+: While I can accept that a Print Document and Presentation can benefit from the Footer, the forcing of both Banner and Footer into my Web Supersite is a total non-starter. I don't want your marketing mar my site's presentation. These additions need to be options not forced on me! Web Export Options: Include a PDF download should be unticked by default. The Banner and PDF inclusions are two orthogonal choices. I would propose that when you lose the "powered by xara" plug, the download and full screen links could fit into the Footer.

For a moment, can you imagine my going to a client and showing off an update to an existing site and the client asks "What's this above our very impactful site header?" My reply, "Oh, it's just what Xara now thinks all its sites needs to show." "Goodbye, ex-website designer!"

Acorn

Default Re: "expect"Casual Notes on Xara Cloud+ and Xara Pro+ Combo

I totally agree. Let me forward your feedback.

If you uncheck the include PDF option, it should at least remove the top bar.. which I know is not obvious. We can definitely improve this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    I totally agree. Let me forward your feedback.
    If you uncheck the include PDF option, it should at least remove the top bar.. which I know is not obvious. We can definitely improve this.
    Thank you Rob.

I "discovered" the untick PDF and alluded to that (fifth bullet).

It is also missing from the PDF Manual / Help in the diagrams and text.

Acorn

The default Template is a Print document.
    Xara defaults this (and a Presentation) to a Vertical Supersite.

If you Preview this (freshly minted) or change it to a Presentation, the display now shows the following:
    • Banner - "powered by xara" link to https://xara.com/ - brash and quite insidious.
    • A "Full screen" link - this is different to the original and still present Full screen (F11) so bear with me. It gets rid of Banner and Footer and renders the page with a jet black pasteboard.
    • A "Download" link - this now presents the page/site/presentation as XaraDocument.pdf.
      • I don't know what the PDF settings are.
      • This PDF can be prevented in Web Export Options: untick Include a PDF download.

• The Footer shows a set of page thumbnails to allow quick navigation of a site that has no Next/Previous links.

Issues:
    • Full screen reverting is pressing the Home icon. Esc, which reverted the original Full screen display, actually closes the Preview.
    • The Download link opens the PDF in an IE (!!!!) browser.
      • Do not import such a file with name XaraDocument.pdf onto your design; I am sure it will cause havoc.

• Selecting any of the available browser icons opens the site/presentation or as expected but you are stuck with the Banner and Footer. Full screen removes these but at the expense of losing the browser furniture. There is no way to view the page as I "expect" my end-user to. [One could add code to hide #xr_pgmn1 & #xr_pgrgalc]!

@Xara+: While I can accept that a Print Document and Presentation can benefit from the Footer, the forcing of both Banner and Footer into my Web Supersite is a total non-starter. I don't want your marketing mar my site's presentation. These additions need to be options not forced on me! Web Export Options: Include a PDF download should be unticked by default. The Banner and PDF inclusions are two orthogonal choices. I would propose that when you lose the "powered by xara" plug, the download and full screen links could fit into the Footer.

For a moment, can you imagine my going to a client and showing off an update to an existing site and the client asks "What's this above our very impactful site header?" My reply, "Oh, it's just what Xara now thinks all its sites needs to show." "Goodbye, ex-website designer!"

Acorn
    As the Xara Inertia Bus is still parked, here is a demonstration of the total mess your approach has introduced onto a viable Timeline design: http://acorn.xara.hosting/timeline/.
    I have an Embed a Website Widget that is not very tall, which has been swamped by your botched topping and tailing of my design.
    If I untick Thumbs & PDF, I still am presented with a mess.
    I, and many others, cannot revert to an earlier Pro version as you have conveniently kludged up the works with the Pro+ implementation.

You would expect Xara to learn from similar mistakes (c.f., forcing a Groups to publish as separate images, for one).

I start off advising you Xara of a Bug, expecting an acknowledgement.
    These are very rare and are usually Rob_Xar trying his best (Post#6), under pressure. Suggestion: Select > Rob_Xar > Clone > Clone > Clone.

I analyse the Problem and sometimes TGers uncover a workaround.

Time passes; here, 14 days.
    These Bugs are quite detrimental and most other companies release a bug-fix within days.

I will re-iterate: I dare not try and republish under Pro+ because of identified Bugs that affect my delivery.
    I still have sites that I republish under v11 or v15.

I stopped endorsing Xara products years ago. It is time I took my own advice.

It is really simple. Acknowledge there is a Problem and, regardless of Xara (unpublished) Roadmaps, the current Customer-base has priority.

Acorn

As the Xara Inertia Bus is still parked, here is a demonstration of the total mess your approach has introduced onto a viable Timeline design: http://acorn.xara.hosting/timeline/.
    I have an Embed a Website Widget that is not very tall, which has been swamped by your botched topping and tailing of my design.
    If I untick Thumbs & PDF, I still am presented with a mess.
    I, and many others, cannot revert to an earlier Pro version as you have conveniently kludged up the works with the Pro+ implementation.

You would expect Xara to learn from similar mistakes (c.f., forcing a Groups to publish as separate images, for one).

I start off advising you Xara of a Bug, expecting an acknowledgement.
    These are very rare and are usually Rob_Xar trying his best (Post#6), under pressure. Suggestion: Select > Rob_Xar > Clone > Clone > Clone.

I analyse the Problem and sometimes TGers uncover a workaround.

Time passes; here, 14 days.
    These Bugs are quite detrimental and most other companies release a bug-fix within days.

I will re-iterate: I dare not try and republish under Pro+ because of identified Bugs that affect my delivery.
    I still have sites that I republish under v11 or v15.

I stopped endorsing Xara products years ago. It is time I took my own advice.

It is really simple. Acknowledge there is a Problem and, regardless of Xara (unpublished) Roadmaps, the current Customer-base has priority.

Acorn

Hi Acorn,

I am happy to let you know, that this bug has been fixed with today's release (see the point no 2 of 'what's new' section): https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...678#post625678.

>> We've made some further improvements to the new Supersite navigation bar options. The checkbox has been updated and will now both enable or disable the top download bar and the bottom navigation bar.

Thank you so much for using Xara and all your feedback!

Enjoy the new release!

Best,
    Eva

Product Manager @xara