Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara 16, 17 or 20???

I'm VERY confused. I upgraded my Xara using a link and ended up with something called "Xara Designer Pro+ 20.0.0.59369 SL x64 Jun 4 2020," which also has a completely different icon from the Xara 17 to which which I, only minutes before, upgraded on another computer. What's the difference between this and -16 and -17?

Default Re: Xara 16, 17 or 20???

Hi Charlie,
    XDP+ is another version of Xara that is being soley distributed by Xara instead of Magix. It is part of the bundle with Xara Cloud. Basically at present XDP17 & XDP+ are nearly the same although plus lacks some camera options (i.e. perspective correction and one other I believe)

How you ended up getting this build I can't say. However look at this:

LINK
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg, you've been around here for a long time. I remember you replying to a queries of mine a couple of decades ago. You, Gary Priester (did I remember his name correctly) and Kate Moir have been real stalwarts in this community and you're all VERY MUCH appreciated. I'm (hopefully) not one of your most frequent questioners but when I have needed help you, and the others on this forum, have always provided me with honest and useful information. Thank you!! Now, on to the other stuff: I saw your reply to my post in another section of the forum, and I'll consolidate all those posts here. I'm not pleased with this update process. First, I'm on an annual subscription (something which I also don't particularly like, but . . .) so shouldn't updates come automatically? I thought this was the deal, that Xara would automatically install updates and program improvements. Also, aside from the annual charge, shouldn't updates be included without extra charge? I also thought that was the deal but when I initially updated I was charged an additional $129, something I also posted about elsewhere. There may not be a version 20 but the program that I got when I updated following a link said under Help/About: “Xara Designer Pro+ 20.0.0.59369 SL x64 Jun 4 2020”. My plan has been to have the latest version of Xara installed and I thought that’s what was supposed to happen automatically. What's up? And, in any event, I do have v. 17 installed on one computer but STILL don’t have it on my Surface, inspite of trying several times to get it. Also, the newly "downloaded program opens with a big "UPDATE" notice (see attached jpeg)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara update downloaded from link.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	127180  
    Last edited by charliescoffee; 08 June 2020 at 09:53 AM. Reason: added screenshot of newly downloaded v. 20

there is no mechanism in place to update from one version number to the next internally - there never has been - the internal update system only updates within a given number - ie all the updates for version 16 can be done internally, but the update to version 17 cannot- in the old days this did not matter because you would need to buy and pay for the next vesion anyway and then install it

but under the subscription model it has caused confusion - this has not been helped by magix notifying users of the new version number and linking to the purchase page, regardless of whether the customer has an active update service in place or not - the muddle between upgrade/update/update service terminology is risable - no one has thought this through properly [hence my comment in other thread] - the implementation is piecemeal

you may need to deactivate your ver 16 before you can activate your version 17 that you seperately install with your vr 16 key - I am not sure, I have not upgraded myself
    Last edited by handrawn; 08 June 2020 at 11:47 AM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...