Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: upgrade to 17

Default upgrade to 17

How do I get the upgrade to Xara 17 installed on my second computer? I've had Xara installed on two computers, one stays in the studio and the other travels with me, for many years. After substantial problems, I've been able to upgrade to 17 on the studio computer but I can't see how I can get it installed on my second computer. Also, unfortunately, I didn't save the key (the P- number, whatever it's called) and I suspect I'll need to get that - it isn't on the list of installed programs on the web site, neither is the newly installed version 17.

Default Re: upgrade to 17

if its an update from ver 16 and your ver 16 licence is still active you install ver 17 seperately and use the ver 16 key to activate it - ver 16 key should be in your magix account
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes, that's supposed to happen, and my license is still good, but it isn't what actually happens. I thought that any upgrades were supposed to happen automatically and without additional cost, but I, foolishly perhaps, paid $129 to upgrade without thinking that I'd already paid for a yearly subscription (AND, before I found an email which offered the upgrade for only $59.99!). As I've previously posted, the upgrade did finally happen on one computer but I can't get it to happen on the second. I've opened a support ticket with Magix but I did that before I managed to get the upgrade installed on one computer AND, I couldn't get back to that ticket to edit it to show that I've been able to upgrade on one computer but not on the other. I know it's been a while, but I never seemed to have such problems before Magix came along. I sure liked the old Xara.

Now, I'm VERY confused. I upgraded using a link from above and ended up ith something called Xara Designer Pro+ 20.0.0.59369 SL x64 Jun 4 2020, which also has a completely different icon. What's the difference between this and -16 and -17?

magix should, in my opinion, be taken to the tradings standards authority for the mess they have made of the 16 to 17 upgrade path - I can't do it because I am not upgrading to 17, and in any case now I know how it works I cannot resonably raise a complaint - but someome caught out [in the UK/EU] would have a case I am sure...

did you get it to work on the first computer by seperately installing - did you use the ver 16 key
    Nothing lasts forever...

pro+ is the new subscription service that includes cloud, but if I read right is pure subscription - ie if you dont renew it dies - if you don't want this you need to be asking for your money back
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes, I believe -17 is working on one computer. While I've been using Xara on both of my computers for years. A few weeks ago I upgraded, supposedly to -17 but it didn't install. Only today did a pop-up open on one computer that prompted me to upgrade, so I clicked through and it seems that v.-17 installed. After going through the upgrade I opened the program and it does seem to be running v.-17. I haven't opened it since and I'm no longer at the studio so I can't check it again. I still haven't been able to get version 17 on this computer (a Surface, which I like). I did get something called a 20 which I don't understand at all. I'm very confused about v. 17 vs. v 20. I also agree that Magix has messed up this upgrade totally. I used to love working with the Xara people and I never had support problems, and only rarely had to use support services. This upgrade is VERY confusing. I have no idea what v.-20 is, apparently it's associated with Xara Cloud, which I don't use anyway. I'm used to Xara for my design and fine art purposes and I like the program, it does everything I want it to do. I got to Xara many years ago and have stayed with it. I suppose there's no reason now to switch (to InDesign or Illustrator) but if problems continue, I may have to bite the bullet and spend a ton of money to do everything I now do, happily, with Xara.

I answered your question in another thread Charlie. There is no version 20. There is Xara Designer Pro17 which is marketed by Magix. Now Xara has introduced Xara Designer Pro+ which comes bundled freely in Xara Cloud (As long as you maintain your Cloud subscrition.)

I can't understand how you ended up with the Plus download.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Could the + version be 20 ? - I cant say because I don't have it, but the version numbering and nomenclature in the past have jumped around a bit, to say the least...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Version 20 is definitely Xara Pro+: Xara Designer Pro+ 20.0.0.59369 SL x64 Jun 4 2020.

I have just had my licence sorted out.

If you have paid for Pro+ in error then I am sure Xara will refund.

You can probably still get to the licence details and download for XDPXv17.0 through Magix's Service Centre page: https://www.magix.com/gb/support/my-service-center/.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat