Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Photo grid slow to load

Every time I use the photo grids I have a problem with slow loading. We had a grand event at our shelter, and I’ve got a couple of picture heavy grids on the same page. Www.northeastspca.org.
    Is there a way to batch optimize, or must I do one at a time. Many thanks group.

~Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Photo grid slow to load

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Every time I use the photo grids I have a problem with slow loading. We had a grand event at our shelter, and I’ve got a couple of picture heavy grids on the same page. Www.northeastspca.org.
    Is there a way to batch optimize, or must I do one at a time. Many thanks group.

~Bill
    Hi Bill,

I opened your site and the lower pictures delayed a little in coming in, but not much. In fact, sites with "lazy loading" (where the download is delayed from the server until the user scrolls down) are slower.

Certainly, it depends on the device and the connection, but I didn't experience a problem.

Greg

Thanks @gcellison. Greg. Cleared the cache on all devices. Happy with the response now. Thanks for viewing.
    ~Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post

~Bill
    Bill, your site (Main & Variant) has some 221 image files and 55 of them download into the index page; admittedly, some are just the NavBar. There is nothing to batch if you have already optimised all the images in Xara [Utilities > Optimise all images].

You have not Named any of your image files so every design update is probably changing the image filename so you never cache them.

I am sorry you cannot just throw so many images onto a page and think that'll do.

Search back in TG for "lazy loading" but as you are using Xara's built-in Highslide JS, I doubt if the coding complexity would ultimately help.

Change the NavBar to Text and a green underbar. That will save a lot of HTTP calls.
    Place a transparent mask over the grid of nine photos and remove the Highslide aspects. Just clone them all (with Hislide clicks) into a separate new Photo Ops page.
    I personally would bitmap copy the entire grad and put that on the index page - one image to download.

Do the same for the second set.

None of the photos tell the story behind so instead of just have each pop-up 500px wide, introduce a Wow! factor and describe what each is about: love, rescue, generosity... ... then link to the Stories page.

Shrink both collections so they are side-by-side.

Move the video to the New Arrivals page.

Lose the banner images - they take up half the browser and you then fail to impact on the viewer your primary goals (donations, sponsoring, volunteering, adoptions).
    pare verything back to delivering a presentation of your goals; only use graphics to reinforce them.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat