Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Fonts rendering differently in Edge

I realise this is probably an elementary problem but I can't find any other posts reporting it.

I find the fonts in one of my sites, based on the Equest template, display fine in Chrome and Firefox but render differently in the increasingly popular Edge browser. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-06-06 (1).jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	127171

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-06-06.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	127172

As you can see, the Edge version looks untidy (and I have tried various permutations to try to sort it out) but it's fine in Firefox.

On other pages such as this one what should be "Header 3" renders in italics in Edge.

I have tried deleting and completely re-uploading the entire site to the server, to no avail.

If anyone can advise how to sort this out it would make me very happy.

Info Re: Fonts rendering differently in Edge

Quote Originally Posted by The Brambler View Post
    I realise this is probably an elementary problem but I can't find any other posts reporting it.

I find the fonts in one of my sites, based on the Equest template, display fine in Chrome and Firefox but render differently in the increasingly popular Edge browser. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-06-06 (1).jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	127171

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-06-06.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	127172

As you can see, the Edge version looks untidy (and I have tried various permutations to try to sort it out) but it's fine in Firefox.

On other pages such as this one what should be "Header 3" renders in italics in Edge.

I have tried deleting and completely re-uploading the entire site to the server, to no avail.

If anyone can advise how to sort this out it would make me very happy.
    If you designed and Previewed a lot in Edge then the browser cache needs to be purged with Ctrl+F5.

It renders the same across all my browsers.

Two things:
    • Browsers can use their own "equivalent" of a font so unless it is embedded within your site, there may be differences. Open sans should be fine, especially in Chrome as it is a Google Web Font.
    • Xara Desktop application rendering has a poor showing with Centre Justified Text - change the support entries to left-justified and put the five entries in a bulleted list.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Fonts rendering differently in Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    If you designed and Previewed a lot in Edge then the browser cache needs to be purged with Ctrl+F5.

Acorn
    Well, I was right about one thing: the problem was elementary. I had hit F5 and the "refresh" button so many times without effect and your suggestion instantly cured the problem, which was clearly how it appeared on my PC rather than to anyone else.

Many thanks for your help, Acorn - not for the first time.

Default Re: Fonts rendering differently in Edge

Quote Originally Posted by The Brambler View Post
    Well, I was right about one thing: the problem was elementary. I had hit F5 and the "refresh" button so many times without effect and your suggestion instantly cured the problem, which was clearly how it appeared on my PC rather than to anyone else.
    Many thanks for your help, Acorn - not for the first time.
    It is not all that elementary.

Xara knows designers Preview and Publish often.
    I raised a discussion on how to overcome caching that affects browsers and also servers, using things like CloudFlare.

The response - zilch.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat