Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Print borders hide manipulation widgets

Print Borders (Window -> Show Print Borders) hide manipulation widgets. Kinda. First I thought it was the case of the borders themselves, but then I realized it's about their color. So I created a shape of the exact same color as Print Borders have and it also hides the widgets (of other selected objects, that is). See the screenshot.

The algorithm for displaying the widgets uses the "negative" of the underlying color. The color of the Print Borders is #808080, and it's "negative" is #7F7F7F, so it just blends in, because grays so close in value are indistinguishable. It annoys me when my objects are near the border, and the widgets disappear. I know the widgets are still there (I can click them), but they are effectively invisible.

Is there an option to change the Print Borders color? If not, then please, Dear Xara, change this color to something like #787878 (see the rectangle with the red border on the screenshot) - it is just slightly darker, but at least it's "negative" does not completely blend in.

(XDP 9, XDP 15, XDP 16 - I haven't tested other versions)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	printborders.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	127173

Default Re: Print borders hide manipulation widgets

I toggle the View Quality (Alt-W-Q-O & Alt-W-Q-V).

This is what I suggested earlier: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...537#post619537.

It is a workaround but quite useful.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Sadly, the View Quality does not affect Print Borders, so the widgets will still be invisible.

Question Re: Print borders hide manipulation widgets

I seem to manage:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Printer Border Outlined.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	127174

My Print Borders is just the yellow outline and all Handles are Black against the White drawing.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Notice, that they are OUTSIDE the page. That's because your default print scale is not 100%. Hit CTRL+P and see what's in the "Options" groupbox - mine says "Best fit (94.64% upright) OK". Now click the Options button, change to "Automatic fit" and click OK. Now the print borders will "jump" inside the page.

if print is the issue I would forget about the print boarders feature, switch it off and create my own boundary with a rectangle on a locked layer

it's not just the print borders - the handles can disappear when over an object of the 'wrong' colour - a sensible solution might be a two-tone handle....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Info Re: Print borders hide manipulation widgets

OK, I do get to a situation where the handle colour blends nicely into the Print Border.

I, however, am not a one-trick pony. When I have such a visibility problem or other difficulty, I:
    • Place another object underneath and then remove it.
    • Change scale.
    • Scale everything down 50% and then back with 200%.
    • Move everything with Ctrl+Arrow , change and then back.
    • Have a New View without Print Borders showing.
    • Toggle Alt-W-P.
    • Change the Page Size.

What I am suggesting is that every program has its quirks and you accommodate with a workaround that becomes part of your workflow.

I am sure Xara will have this on its To Do List but at no priority.
    Reviewing my List I will use Alt-W-P myself from now on.
    I suppose I run an inner monologue when working as I remind myself that this has been a problem I have met and "solved" beforehand.

Acorn