Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Xara web designer dime a dozen?

So you got wordpress and easily you can find millions of designers that know how to work with it.
    With xara where can I find these people? I mean lets say one day I drop dead or want to pass on my
    xara clientele to someone to take over, who do I call? Ghost busters?

Default Re: Xara web designer dime a dozen?

Start training one of your friends now

behzad, what are you offering for a Dime? A dozen of what? Websites to be maintained?

I could offer 5 days @ 8 hours a day for a rate of £25/h so a site would have to outlay £1,000/y.
    I could handle 50 sites a year.

Any offers?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn, I will keep you in mind. I plan to retire soon and my xara clients are freaking out. I will push for a few more years. Btw, can they just use the html code without xara files to have a web designer use dreamweaver to update and maintain their site?

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Btw, can they just use the html code without xara files to have a web designer use dreamweaver to update and maintain their site?
    No, that would be a total disaster, behzad.

Any site that has to be supported needs to be built against some design. Without any documentation, changes will be become unmanageable.

The best you can do is rebuild each website and document every single thing so that you, another XDA developer or at worst the Customer can make and document their own changes.
    Staging and version control are paramount so you need to inculcate a regression strategy.
    Pick one of your current sites and use the Xara Import from web address facility. Note all the functionality, Names, Layers and the like that are missing. Document those first.

In the end that's what you were paid for.
    If not, up your charges and ensure you have a robust annual support contract.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Lightbulb Re: Xara web designer dime a dozen?

I thought I would offer up an approach to documenting a website to promote discussion:

Documenting a Website.xar

Acorn

I think the easiest way is to find a xara developer or tell them to purchase xara.

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    I think the easiest way is to find a xara developer or tell them to purchase xara.
    Neither of which will prepare them for how you constructed the website.

Acorn

Info Re: Xara web designer dime a dozen?

Another mechanism for On-page Comments is to create a style called 'Comment' and in the Website Code (head), add:
    Code:
    <style>
    .Comment {  display: none;
    }
    </style>
    Acorn