Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Delayed popup with sticky/stretchy items?

Acorn,

Yes, I am aware that every visit to the home page will trigger the popup. I believe that my boss WANTS that feature, even if it may be bad form. I don't see exactly how that will be a disaster, though.

And I know you can scroll past it, but in theory if I can get it working, the gray overlay will cover the entire page on top of the nav bar, so you can't "fully see" or interact with the rest of the page without clicking to close the popup.

Right now I have the time to chase down fixes, so that's what I'm trying to do, with the help of some of you Xara veterans.

In the end, this may be something I have to go back to my boss to tell him won't work the way he wants in Xara. But until then, I have to exhaust every possibility to make it work.

Regards,
    -Kelly

Personally I dislike pages with this type of pop-up. More & more sites are also having page wide pop-ups regarding cookie acceptance. Bad enough having it on a small section top or bottom of the site but the whole page? I know it's not your choice but bend your bosses ear
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Well if you need to prove it be can done, then it's not too difficult and the XAR doc is attached.

It relies on the fact that you can create a sticky animated popup, simply by creating and doing all the animations on the MouseOff layer before copying them over to the target popup layer. It is work-around that I have used a lot.

In your case the animations are simply time delays and you can delay any element upto 10 secs. That includes delaying the menu bar which slides in from the top.

I am though with Acorn and Egg here. This type of intrusive popup only works for a limited time.

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here is a different approach. The stickies of the mouse off layer are hidden while a pop-up layer is open.
    In this example the element with the name is the rectangle and it is stretching to full height but not stickie. In this case only one .parentNode is required. If you change the features of the element you probably will have to adapt the code.
    The code checks (5 times a second) if a pop-up layer is opened and sets an attribute (pua) at the xr_xr element (created by Xara and always there).
    This attribute causes the CSS to be activated (pua=1) or deactivated (pua=0) and hides all stickies that are at the same level as the xr_xr element (which are the stickies of the mouse off layer) if set to 1. See selector in the CSS (#xr_xr[pua="1"]~div.xr_stickie).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gary,

You have helped me with the sticky/animated popups before. The one I'm trying to achieve now is slightly different where I don't want animation - just a delay on when it shows up. I wasn't able to delay the popup appearance with an instant show without some kind of Javascript.

But I'm learning lots of new things with the samples you and others are sending. I will definitely be delving into your XAR sample file to figure out what you did. I appreciate your time!

Regards,
    -Kelly

Siran,

I don't even begin to understand the Javascript, but I will be looking at this new approach to see if it works. I appreciate your time!

Regards,
    -Kelly