Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Delayed popup with sticky/stretchy items?

Hello,

I am trying to create a delayed popup that "grays" out the main website and has some element on top of the gray box, similar to the delayed popup email subscribe form on this website:

https://www.targetmarketingmag.com/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackout.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	127146

I have extremely limited Javascript knowledge, but I've been able to use the code I found from Acorn on this forum with his Fancy OnLoad Pop-up found on this thread:
    https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...p-Please-Popup

The delay coding works, but only if the popup layer has no sticky/stretchy items. Because our main website has a sticky navigation menu, the nav bar shows on TOP of the transparent black box. This isn't the ideal design choice. If I add sticky or stretchy to any of the items, the popup never shows.

See my test site here:
    https://www.igcshow.com/TESTSITES/kelly_jun02/

Is there a way to have sticky/stretchy objects on the popup layer with the Javascript for a delayed popup load? Or is there another way to achieve this look/feature that I'm unaware of?

Thank you for any help!
    -Kelly

Default Re: Delayed popup with sticky/stretchy items?

The element with the name "darkreg" may not be stickie or stretchy, then it should work. Otherwise the code could be adapted to assume a stickie or strechy.
    For example if it is stickie and has a link then the following code should work:
    Code:
    setTimeout("xr_cpu("+parseInt(document.getElementById('darkreg').parentNode.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode.className.split("xr_xp")[1])+")",3000);

Siran,

Thank you so much for your reply!

I made sure the grayed out box does not have the name darkreg - it's only on the group with the green box - and made the gray box sticky.

The green box shows up, but the sticky gray box does not.

So then I tried the new script code you provided and the entire popup layer does not show at all.

-Kelly

Kelly, the problem you have created is any access to the Home page will always fire up the delayed pop-up.
    You then lose customers.

Just add it in as a special button or rely on the REGISTER button as it goes to the same page.

Personally, I would shift the REGISTER page to become the first page (call it index though) and have a meta refresh in the REGISTER page code head to switch to the HOME page (renamed from index) after 30 seconds.
    <metahttp-equiv="refresh"content="30; url=home.htm">
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn,

The popup may not always be a box about registering - that was just an example I am using to get the functionality to work.

We may end up using a popup similar to the original example I sent from TargetMarketing where it is an email subscription form.

But I don't make those design decisions. I am just the layout person/Xara user trying to make the "can we do this in Xara" requests from my boss happen.

Thank you for your input, though. It's definitely something I should address with my boss if the need arises.

-Kelly

If the element with the name doesn't have a link you have to remove one of the four ".parentNode" parts (see example).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Siran,

But the item with the "darkreg" name DOES have a link.

I tried removing one of the four ".parentNode" parts anyway, just to test, and it still didn't trigger the popup.

So, I copied the contents of your popup layer and your HTML code to my Xara file, removing my green call to action box, but leaving the little white x from my original green box to close the popup (with a link to "popup: close "reg(lock)"") and the popup works now, with the stretchy gray box.

But the white x to close the button does not show.

I'm getting closer!

Thank you,
    -Kelly

Can you attach a simple design file that reproduces your problem?
    Is your profile up to date, are you using Designer Pro X 15?

Siran,

Here is your sample file with my close button added to the popup layer.

delpopstick-withclose.xar

Hopefully this works!

And yes, my profile is up to date. I'm using Xara Designer Pro 15.1.0.53605.

I do have the service contract and can get the latest version. I just don't use it because my boss has version 15 and we share the Xara files sometimes.

Thank you.
    -Kelly