Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Some Interesting Data On Websites Designed With Xara

My understanding of the CMS Versions, Major and Minor is the XARA HTML generator, c.f., <meta name="Generator" content="Xara HTML filter v.9.6.1.39"/> for v17.0
    v10 has generator version 7.0 and Xara Xtreme 5.1 is version 2.2 (<meta name="Generator" content="Xara HTML filter v.2.2.0.675"/>).

CMS has nothing to do with actual content management systems but
    A CMS will sometimes include a meta tag within the html of each page. This is usually a "generator" tag like <meta name="generator" content="What CMS" /> but could also be "application-name", "Powered-By" or anyting else the CMS creators decide to use.
    This is the more telling as it shows how much Xara loses against each version it delivers.
    Map generator version to product version and you can see the trend.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn said it all.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Don't let us stop you.

Before any bright spark ( USA: Smartass ) also volunteers that you can buy a domain for any country from any other country, I already know.

I made my comment with regard to the balance of the distribution, which will generally reflect the balance of the location of the web designers, but not perfectly, as has been pointed out.
    dont you just love the way irony provokes

what I want to know is.. so what? if that is the way the stats are, so what? should anyone in the know actually be surprised

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Once again I'm totally confused. Not unusual. This site seems to search for sites using CMS software. The majority of Xara created sites never use CMS, perhaps apart from those created via xtom . So what use is this data?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Once again I'm totally confused. Not unusual. This site seems to search for sites using CMS software. The majority of Xara created sites never use CMS, perhaps apart from those created via xtom . So what use is this data?
    Egg, read my last Post. CMS is a listing of what the developer puts in the META data as "generator. Xara's generator is the Xara HTML filter, which has it own version number different to the product version number. This site is simply recording what the published Xara sites were published with.
    Know the generator version, know the product version.

For example, your recent website is:

parkeston.com/tim-box-2/ uses
    Category Software Version
    CMS Xara 9.6.0.33
    Web Server Apache
    So you were using XDPXv17.0.

Clearer?

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 29 May 2020 at 09:35 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    CMS systems tend to insert meta data into the hTML that identifies the site as having been generated through software rather than being a static, hand-coded site.

The Xara software inserts some generator strings and the and CMS site thinks Xara sites were created from a CMS.

So, in short it finds Xara sites whether they have used a CMS or not.

Duplicate Posting after an Internet outage - IGNORE.

Acorn

Aha, "HTML that identifies the site as having been generated through software.....," that clarifies matters. Thanks for that, Pauland.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    dont you just love the way irony provokes
    Err.. no

what I want to know is.. so what? if that is the way the stats are, so what? should anyone in the know actually be surprised

Too much cleverness for this poor soul.

Time for Summer Recess.

@ Acorn
    Clearer?
    As mud!

Where do you get the Category = cms from? I can't see it in my page source.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host