Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: XXP_Introduction_Page

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Change the default startup file:

FILE > SAVE TEMPLATE - Pick (or make) a blank file and check the USE AS DEFAULT TEMPLATE checkbox.

OR alternately ...

Delete all the content on that file and re-save it blank.
    I did as you suggested but when I start XDP it now opens two files with the same name. One is now blank and the other is the "unwanted" file.

I did notice when I hover over the tab on the "unwanted" file its says the file name plus "not yet saved" follows the file name.

It's really not a big deal as I'll just delete the file until I decide if I like the program.

Thanks.

Bruce

Whatever it is, it's not normal behavior. That introduction file is not a fixed given and you should be able to discontinue its automatic loading each time you start the program. Perhaps one of the mods could alert someone from Xara support.

sorry but you cannot do this anymore; it has been this way for a version or two - magix way - it has nothing to do with xara anymore, magix decide how the trial are organised
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

This thread has really jumped off the rails.

This has nothing to do with the fact its a trial. This has nothing to do with firewalls. This has nothing to do with Magix and nothing to do with advertising (what is even being advertised, its a getting started document??). A lot of you are overthinking the problem.

If you close a document, it shouldn't open again if you close and reopen the program. Xara has a list of open documents in the registry, this list is taken when you close Designer. If for some reason Xara doesn't close cleanly or something blocks it from writing those records then this can happen, in which you can contact support and we can investigate what is causing it.

The one good advice above is to run as Administrator which ensures Xara has permission to do so. If Xara also crashes, its unable to record the currently open files correctly and will re-open what it had last recorded.

Thanks
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    Except for the fact that we're trying to help a new fellow user, one of your clients, solve an issue he's having.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Except for the fact that we're trying to help a new fellow user, one of your clients, solve an issue he's having.
    No, not really. A lot of false information is being thrown around that most members know better. I appreciate the effort but not at the cost of becoming a Xara bashing thread with steps that could break more things like messing around with the firewall than actually help.

I elliminated this behaviour by going in to the folder where the file resides. ( %appdata%\\Local\Xara\XtremePro\17\Cache\designs\e ng\firstlook\intro_17_0) Change the permissions for that folder to only read. So, no write rights on files in that folder and exclude every other users (system, administrators). But, before you do that; delete the xar-files but not the catindex files. (you won't be able to delete them once you change the rights)

Be aware, this is not for the faint-hearted and you do have to know what you're meddling with...

No, not really. A lot of false information is being thrown around that most members know better. I appreciate the effort but not at the cost of becoming a Xara bashing thread with steps that could break more things like messing around with the firewall than actually help.
    Please address the members who you think are the culprits directly and do not dismiss the whole effort. Perhaps you and your colleagues could have a stronger presence on these forums to disseminate quick and correct information needed by -- especially new -- users.

This has nothing to do with the fact its a trial. This has nothing to do with firewalls. This has nothing to do with Magix and nothing to do with advertising (what is even being advertised, its a getting started document??). A lot of you are overthinking the problem.

If you close a document, it shouldn't open again if you close and reopen the program. Xara has a list of open documents in the registry, this list is taken when you close Designer. If for some reason Xara doesn't close cleanly or something blocks it from writing those records then this can happen, in which you can contact support and we can investigate what is causing it.

The one good advice above is to run as Administrator which ensures Xara has permission to do so. If Xara also crashes, its unable to record the currently open files correctly and will re-open what it had last recorded.

Thanks
    Rob
    Rob:

I did close the document and deleted the file from my computer but it re-created itself when I re-opened the program.

As a potential new user I found "all" of the suggestions helpful mostly because everyone was trying to help and that will certainly contribute to my decision to purchase the software or not.

Bruce

P.S. for what it is worth Michael's post did the trick and the file no longer opens or is being re-created.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I elliminated this behaviour by going in to the folder where the file resides. ( %appdata%\\Local\Xara\XtremePro\17\Cache\designs\e ng\firstlook\intro_17_0) Change the permissions for that folder to only read. So, no write rights on files in that folder and exclude every other users (system, administrators). But, before you do that; delete the xar-files but not the catindex files. (you won't be able to delete them once you change the rights)

Be aware, this is not for the faint-hearted and you do have to know what you're meddling with...
    Michael:

Your suggestion did the trick....the file no longer opens and the last file I used opens the next time I open the software....thanks.