Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What is the best way to export a wireframe 3D view in SolidWorks into Xara?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    svg?
    No such option.

Default Re: What is the best way to export a wireframe 3D view in SolidWorks into Xara?

good luck with the EP

ok so this may be some help: https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/227344

but if you havnt already, checking with the company if your graphics cards should work would be my next step

if you are paying what the program costs then 500 for a graphics card may not be that much pro rata - or look at it the other way round - if you did not need the card, the program would cost a lot more....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    good luck with the EP

ok so this may be some help: https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/227344

but if you havnt already, checking with the company if your graphics cards should work would be my next step

if you are paying what the program costs then 500 for a graphics card may not be that much pro rata - or look at it the other way round - if you did not need the card, the program would cost a lot more....
    Yes, unfortunately my graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB) isn't supported.

If you can convince SolidWorks that you are a genuine startup the cost for SWX for 1 year is zero.

It looks like a half-decent card (e.g. a NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000) will cost me about £800 or £900. I simply can't afford that sort of money I am now inventigating getting a "refurb" one
    e.g. This one from ByteStock.com is just £720.00 (inc VAT) +11 for delivery...
    https://www.bytestock.com/nvidia-qua...-0500-210.html

J

I have to say that a new card will always be worth the extra, I would never buy such a thing 'refurb' - but that said I appreciate the financial constraint, and it is not as if you have time to save-up if you are limited to a year; bummer

horse has bolted I know, but I learnt very early on in animation that you need to put together a workstation [computer] that will cope with what you need to do, and that you need to look at it holistically from the off - I build myself in order to make sure they are capable which an off the shelf mainstream computer would not be designed for - that said I could buy a ready made workstation, but it would mean spending megabucks and I am not convinced I would need all that power
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

This may be too simple (like me ), but if Solidworks can export a video as, say, a 1920x1080 mp4 or some other friendly format it will be anti-aliased in the process. It would then be a simple task to take a few screen grabs from the video which could then be easily manipulated in Xara.

I guess you simply opened the assembly (.sldasm) and then directly tried to export, am I right?

In that case, you have to create a drawing first. I don't have Solidworks available right know, but I should be more or less like this:

1: Go to File/Create drawing from assembly (or something like that)
    2: Add all the views you need
    - Go back to your assembly file and move/rotate your view how you like it
    - Swich to the drawing and insert new view (There should be an options which says something like "current view"
    - Repeat these steps until you have all the desired views
    3. Export the drawing (I guess .ai or .eps should work quiet well)

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    Yes, unfortunately my graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB) isn't supported.

If you can convince SolidWorks that you are a genuine startup the cost for SWX for 1 year is zero.

It looks like a half-decent card (e.g. a NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000) will cost me about £800 or £900. I simply can't afford that sort of money I am now inventigating getting a "refurb" one
    e.g. This one from ByteStock.com is just £720.00 (inc VAT) +11 for delivery...
    https://www.bytestock.com/nvidia-qua...-0500-210.html

J
    I'm quite shocked at the amount of money required for solidworks - as in licence costs and hardware.

What is it specifically that you need from this software compared to far cheaper, very capable alternatives shiphen?

Paul

[ the last time I used high-end CAD software was way back in the day. The system used either hardwired pens or track-balls. I used to program the system to create integrated circuit designs using Fortran, then later systems used C.

These days most people I know are using onShape, but there are so many other solutions way less expensive than solidworks.

I have a license for Moi3D but haven't got to grips with it yet, and I know of furniture makers doing their original designs using Lightwave3D before passing it on to CAD based systems. ]

Shipen, I just wanted to be clear that my curiosity about your use of solidworks is simply to understand what it is that drew you to it and to wonder if you could save yourself a lot of money by using an alternative.

I have no gripe with solidworks, or your choice to use it. I wish you well in your venture (whatever it is).

Paul

Hi Shiphen,

You could ask for them an export in STEP or IGES, download the MOI3D demo, open the exported file and export to PDF.

Marc

I last used used Solidworks about 20 years ago when I was still studying but there are videos on Youtube about the subject. For example this was the first video that came up with a search, and seems to demonstrate pretty well what you are trying to accomplish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M0jZN1GfTU