Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What is the best way to export a wireframe 3D view in SolidWorks into Xara?

Hello

What is the best vector format for exporting a 3D wireframe view of an object in SolidWorks2020 into Xara Designer Pro?

With thanks

J

PS I've tried of few thinks but SolidWorks keeps crashing.

Default Re: What is the best way to export a wireframe 3D view in SolidWorks into Xara?

Try PDF
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Default Re: What is the best way to export a wireframe 3D view in SolidWorks into Xara?

What are you trying to accomplish?

svg?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    What are you trying to accomplish?
    My product designers have created a 3D design of my product in SolidWorks. My patent attorney needs some line drawings of 3D views of my product based on the SolidWorks designs, for use in my patent application.

I now have a copy of SolidWorks v2020. As you may know SolidWorks is extremely expensive but it seems to be the industry norm for manufacturing industry. I have a 4K screen and I was hoping to be able to take some screenshots for my patent application.

However despite having a reasonably good graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB) I can't get SolidWorks to anti-alias to screen.

So I was hoping to export a 3D view of my product in vector format so that I can create exactly what I want from Xara.

J

PS Here is a list of ways in which you can export from SolidWorks v2020:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	delme-SW-exports.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	127097

Attempting to export as Adobe Illustrator crashes my computer every time. :^[

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    However despite having a reasonably good graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB) I can't get SolidWorks to anti-alias to screen.
    i guess you will have read this:

http://help.solidworks.com/2018/engl...es_display.htm

from which:

Full scene anti-aliasing Available if your video card supports full scene anti-aliasing and has passed a stability test. You must set the graphics card control panel settings for anti-aliasing so that the application has control. Applies anti-aliasing to the entire graphics area for parts, assemblies, and drawings.

Close all SOLIDWORKS documents before you turn on or off full scene anti-aliasing. Restart the SOLIDWORKS software for full scene anti-aliasing to take effect.
    also I understand all open parts, assemblies, etc must be closed for full screen anti-aliasing to be available in the program - ie if you open them full screen anti-aliasing is disabled....?

you cannot import a 3D view into xara, it will end up 2D, so you will need to use several different views as I guess you appreciate - I'd try PDF first on the assumption that will be vector... but I don't have any experience of the program to confirm
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Holy Cow - I just discovered how expensive Solidworks is!

Are you making parts for the Space Program Shiphen?

Wow, wow, wow!

yep - the cost of Toon Boom Harmony Premium, plus cintiq pro 24, plus cintiq pro stand, plus a bit more, for the standard edition of solidworks... still at least there's a trial....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    i guess you will have read this:

http://help.solidworks.com/2018/engl...es_display.htm

from which:

also I understand all open parts, assemblies, etc must be closed for full screen anti-aliasing to be available in the program - ie if you open them full screen anti-aliasing is disabled....?

you cannot import a 3D view into xara, it will end up 2D, so you will need to use several different views as I guess you appreciate - I'd try PDF first on the assumption that will be vector... but I don't have any experience of the program to confirm
    1. Yes I have tried closing everything rebooting the PC but nothing seems to get the "Full scene anti-aliasing" button to un-grey itself.

2. I am aware of course aware that XDP only works in 2D, but I am wanting some 3D _views_ of models from particular angles, in 2D data, not actual 3D data.

I have a long history of not getting on very well with adobe's PDF format, but at first blush it does seem to work and if there is nothing better I'll with that.

PS What's so weird is just how poor a lot of CAD packages seem to be at drawing their lines using anti-aliasing. SolidWorks is market leader but in 3D you need a £500 graphics card to get antialiasing and even then I am told that their 2D drawing modules still can't anti-alias to screen. Hopeless.

I am starting a company so I am on their Entrepreneurial Program.
    What I will do after my ultra-low cost initial year remains to seen....

J