Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Not on menu

Default Not on menu

I have watched every movie/FB clip I can find on supersites. Some of the ones Xara puts out are great - but on some of them the volume is so low - even with my laptop sound full up - that I can't understand them.

But the biggest problem is that the menu that they pull up is not the same as my D Pro-12. An example - on one she shows right clicking on a non-supersite and going to "website variant" and it adds what is need to make that site a supersite. First, in my D Pro-12 it appears ALL of the sites are supersites and a right click shows the website variant on the menu. However, when I load my old website - NOT a supersite - and right click there is no website variant on the menu. So, how do I change my site to a supersite?

If I load one of the canned supersites and then my old site, can I copy/paste the pages from my old site to the supersite? If I do, do I need to delete everything off the supersite before doing so or does pasting replace what is already there? When I copy a photo from my old site and paste/replace to the supersite it does not replace on the other 2 variants.

It will be a lot easier and quicker if I can find a way to change my old site to a supersite and make the needed changes. - jb

Edit - I am thinking that my program is not working right - can I re-download the program or do I have to upgrade?
    Last edited by jeb; 25 May 2020 at 07:17 PM.
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Info Re: Not on menu

jeb, a "website variant" is NOT a Supersite.

In XDPX12, a Supersite is Utilities > Web Export Options > Supersite.
    In XDPX12, a Variant is Options > Website Variants.

Please read the Help file to ken the difference.

I reckon, that in XDPX12 you are creating a design from the default, which is not a Web Page.
    Use a specific Web Page Template then Variant away to your heart's content.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Not on menu

Sorry - maybe using the wrong word - supersite. Seems variant is the correct for what I want. So it seems all the D pro-12 templates are "variants". I opened both a variant and my old site, copied a pic and pasted it into the main variant then shared with all variants. It doesn't let me "share" a "live copy" in place on the other variants but does show to the right of the them and I can then move it over the the variant.

I have tried to copy a page but it doesn't let me do that either. Is the only way I use what is on my old site is to cut/paste to each variant? Is there another, quicker and easier, way to do this? Also, do I need to delete the present variant items on that page before I copy my items over? - jb
    Last edited by jeb; 25 May 2020 at 09:20 PM.
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post
    Sorry - maybe using the wrong word - supersite. Seems variant is the correct for what I want. So it seems all the D pro-12 templates are "variants". So if I open my old web site and want to turn it into a variant site, what is the best way to do so?
    Seriously?

Read the Help file.

I also told you what the command is already --- Options > Website Variants.

You must read the Help file or you will ask the next question about changing something. It will then become a cascade.
    There is a shed-load of things you have to understand so create a new one-page web design and experiment there, make mistakes and learn before touching your old design.

I can feel the pain already.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

jb - Let me add to Acorn's good advice. Almost every menu in Xara has a Help button. Press this button to bring up a context-sensitive menu that explains the options and features related to that specific menu. This is always a excellent source of focused help. Press F1 with any tool select and again, you get a context-sensitive explanation of the specific tool.

First, I have spent several hours watching every xara/FB clip I can find that has anything to do with supersites/variants. Second, I have spent a lot of time using the "help" files. Third, the ONLY "option" I can find anywhere are only two - one under utilities and and the second if I right click on a page. Both of these bring up the same menu which has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

Having said that, I have also stated that in following some of the movies/FB clips when she/he clicks on a menu what they get is not what I get.

Ths for the help. - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

Info Re: Not on menu

OK jeb.

1. Open XDPX12.
    2. Select File > New > Web Page 960px (XGA). [Validate: the Page & Layer Gallery > Layer View shows at least MouseOver and MouseOff layers]
    3. Switch to the Text Tool.
      1. Left-click drag an area about one-third of the Page.
      2. Press Shift+Ctrl+L a few times to add some text or type in what you prefer.

4. Select Utilities (OR page right-click) > Website variants > Website variants.
      1. Click the Website variants > Create button.
      2. Click the Create website variant > Create button [Validate: Mobile 480px entry is in Website variants dialog]
      3. Click the Website variants > Close button. [Validate: the Document tab now has a new Untitled(n) [Mobile] tab, which has focus]

5. With the Text Tool, adjust the Text Area to fit within the small page dimensions.
    6. Preview the Website.
      1. Reduce the width of the browser until the Mobile version shows.
      2. Increase until the Main version shows.

7. Advise back if this this the effect you have been seeking.
    8. If you have had a problem, tell us which step this occurred at.

Acorn

This is the detailed Help page covering the above.
    Creating RWD Websites from existing sites

To create a variant of an existing website you will need to open the Website variants dialog - any of the following steps will do this:

• Click "Utilities" > "Website variants" >"Website variants".
    • Right-click on the document tab and select "Website variants" to open the dialog and also to view your variants.

• Right click anywhere in the document work area and select "Website variants" > "Website variants" to view the dialog.

Website variants dialog
    Click the Create button and choose a design width in pixels. The two variants above describe webpages of 760 pixels for the larger Main variant, and a Mobile variant which has default pixel width of 480 pixels. What happens is that a visiting web browser with a width of 620 pixels or greater will see the Main variant, whilst a browser with a width less than 620 pixels will see the Mobile variant.

You can view and edit the dimensions of the existing variants by clicking on the Properties... button.

When you create a new variant, all the content of the main website appears, mostly unchanged, but the page size has changed and the page background is adjusted. It's now up to you to re-arrange the layout as you wish for this new variant. You can move items around the page freely, reduce the width of text columns, resize and re-position images, and you have to do this for all the pages of your variant website.

You can change the title and the pixel width of a variant at any time by clicking on the Properties and then Update buttons in the dialog.

Note: The 'breakpoint' between two variants is half way between the widths of the two. So in the above case for browser widths less than 620 it will show the narrow one and widths above that it will show the wider one. Also note because most mobile devices always try to fit the browser content into the screen, it doesn't matter that your page is wider than their screen pixels - it will be scaled down to fit by the browser.