Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Hosting recommendations

Hi
    Am trying to source a hosting company for a friends website.
    A lot of providers now seem to be charging extra for things like email facilities, SSL etc.
    Do any of you have any provider recommendations whose prices are transparent and offer good support and uptime please?

Default Re: Hosting recommendations

I use 2 different hosts for totally different purposes 1. Bluehost a single website $2.75 per month unlimited websites and unmetered bandwidth $4.95 per month https://www.bluehost.com/ and 2. E5host a single website 83 cents per month unlimited websites and unmetered bandwidth $4.00 per month https://e5host.com/ Both are excellent and offer unlimited email and a ssl certificate included in the price!!!!

Gypsyjoe - many thanks for the helpful response, I have already had look at Bluehost but have not come across E5host so will take a look.

I have also been looking at Hostinger and their service looks very cheap but support is only available via live chat - has anyone had any experience of their service?

dreamhost do not charge extra for 'regular' SSL - they are reliable well established and reasonabnly priced - we also use 123reg when we want to host in the UK, but they charge extra for SSL....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I started out in 2014 with Arvixe. They were great for about a year. Then they were bought out by EIG (a conglomerate that owns about 100 hosting services under different names … buying them out and turning them into crap.) After that, things went from bad to worse to ever worse. As I’m in Mexico, a lot of other hosts couldn’t arrange to accept payment (don’t ask me why), so I was stuck with Arvixe another five years. As the service went downhill, the price increased several fold.

I recommend you steer clear of anything owned by EIG.

Last fall, after a lot of investigation, I switched over to GreenGeeks. It is an environmentally friendly hosting service out of California. The normal rate for shared hosting is $9.95 / month, but for new clients, it is $2.95 / month. If you pay for three years up front, the special price applies for all three years. I paid just over $100 for three years.

It includes “unlimited” bandwidth and email addresses, all of the normal stuff from cPanel, and free SSL certificates. The team is always very helpful (and quick) on the on-line chat. They also have phone support, which I haven’t used. Our uptime is close to 100%.

At one point, some of our emails were being delivered to spam, but they implemented a third-party service that has apparently taken care of the problem.

I recommend you take a look. (I am not posting a link because I am not an affiliate and do not in any way profit from their business. You can find them with a quick search.)

I will say with E5host support is by chat only, but whenever I wanted support there was never any wait time, it was within a matter of seconds. I had a email problem once, they had it fixed within a minute or two. All other support was questions I had and they had very prompt answers!!!!

gcellison - many thanks for taking the time to respond, I will have a look at GreenGeeks.

Gypseyjoe - I have had a look at E5host, I found a referral site that allowed for a 1c initial month cost so I set up an account to have a look.

Set up was very straightforward and following a bit of online chat I manage to set up the SSL certificate. As you say the support was very prompt and helpful. Only downside so far is that they appear to only accept Paypal as a payment method and I am always a little wary of setting up recurrent payments on paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbyy View Post
    Paypal as a payment method and I am always a little wary of setting up recurrent payments on paypal.
    I can understand you being wary, but I must say I have been with them for about 6 months and have had nothing but good experience. Hope that helps!!!!