Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Posts
    25

    Default X16 o X17 update confusion

    I'm having a senior moment! I'm currently on X16 of Xara Designer Pro.
    I use a laptop for email but desktop for everything else.
    I get a message from Xara saying 'Extend now for 99.99' and pushing X17. Ad I think, 'Why does my prog say there are no updates available when there's X17 available and my 365 licence promises all updates for the year.' So is it that I'm stuck on X16 if I don't cough up 100 extension now rather than waiting until t is due in July.
    OK, I think 'It's a bit of a con to get me to pay up early, but hey I like XDP so I decide to do the update on the PC.
    But when I go to do that it come up requesting $129, yet Magix and Xara know I'm in the UK so why ask me to pay in Dollars?

    Does anyone know how I can get this put right?
    Also why won't it download X17 when I still have 2 months left on my year upgrades?

    Thanks for your help

    Emma

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    17,559

    Default Re: X16 o X17 update confusion

    hopefully acorn will be along shortly with clear instructions - meanwhile don't pay anything - basically you download and install ver 17 as a trial and then use your ver 16 key to activate it
    -------------------------------
    carpe diem
    carpo vitae

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brockville, Ontario, Canada.
    Posts
    4,363

    Default Re: X16 o X17 update confusion

    V17 is not classed as an update to your existing V16. It is a new version, and it can be run alongside your V16 install. If (as you say) you are still within your upgrade, then just download and install V17 and activate it with the same licence key number.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    11,356

    Info Re: X16 o X17 update confusion

    Here I am.

    This is Magix marketing, condoned by Xara.
    Every year Magix force a version number change and Xara can't be *rsed to change the version checker to advise the punters there is a major version number change awaiting their attention.
    No email either.

    You can get v17 for free if you go to the Xara site, download and use the same licence and email.
    https://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/download/.
    In v16, press Shift+Ctrl+Alt+1 for the Serial number.

    Keep v16 installed, you can use both at the same time and this allows for a retreat if v17 goes pear-shaped for your work.

    Acorn


    P.S. A ton of necessary reading in these links: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...4dUDCAw&uact=5.
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: XDPX (current, v15, v12 & 11 (64-bit)), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7; lots of licences back through time (to CC's Artworks). If your Post identifies a Xara software fault, please raise it directly with Magix --> support2.magix.com.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    244

    Default Re: X16 o X17 update confusion

    This is the announcement and link to the download:

    https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...Designer-Pro-X

    Acorn's post has the approach to it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brockville, Ontario, Canada.
    Posts
    4,363

    Default Re: X16 o X17 update confusion

    In one of those threads ... https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ion-on-startup ..., Rob-Xar stated that since V16.3 the updater will now prompt to update major versions (i.e. V16 to V17) as well.

    Apparently, it doesn't work ...Which really isn't a surprise, because for the last few months we've been complaining that the Update Service Updater won't update ... Go figure. It's really time someone fixed these types of MAJOR bugs.

    MAGIX, please get your act together.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    StPeters, MO USA
    Posts
    9,652

    Default Re: X16 o X17 update confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    In one of those threads ... https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ion-on-startup ..., Rob-Xar stated that since V16.3 the updater will now prompt to update major versions (i.e. V16 to V17) as well.

    Apparently, it doesn't work ...Which really isn't a surprise, because for the last few months we've been complaining that the Update Service Updater won't update ... Go figure. It's really time someone fixed these types of MAJOR bugs.

    MAGIX, please get your act together.

    +1
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

    Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: X16 o X17 update confusion

    Thanks to everyone for their really helpful replies.

    Until Magix got involved everything seemed so simple.
    I spent 35 years in IT (Programmer, Analyst, Project Manager, IT Manager), but at 73 I really get p**** off by the quality (or rather lack of it) in modern systems and marketing.

    Once again, thanks for your help.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: X16 o X17 update confusion

    Now I'm getting really annoyed! Steam is starting to gush from my ears, flames are pouring from my mouth, and my fingernails are turning into claws.

    What the hell are Xara and Magix up to?

    I followed Acorn's excellent advice but the update page just pushes you to XDP+ I don't want or need their Cloud service but there appears to be no option to download X17, only pro+ or old versions. I've been using Xara for years but seriously considering not bothering to renew the update subscription.

    Finally went onto the Magix site where I was able to download the X17 trial and then register with my serial number. What a palaver.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    11,356

    Exclamation Re: X16 o X17 update confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by scucca View Post
    Now I'm getting really annoyed! Steam is starting to gush from my ears, flames are pouring from my mouth, and my fingernails are turning into claws.
    What the hell are Xara and Magix up to?
    I followed Acorn's excellent advice but the update page just pushes you to XDP+ I don't want or need their Cloud service but there appears to be no option to download X17, only pro+ or old versions. I've been using Xara for years but seriously considering not bothering to renew the update subscription.
    Finally went onto the Magix site where I was able to download the X17 trial and then register with my serial number. What a palaver.
    My bad, I failed to notice Xara has changed its own site download to Designer Pro+.

    The Magix download is probably still http://dl03.magix.net/designerprox17_dlm.exe.

    Xara has to start selling Xara Designer Pro+ with Xara Cloud+ in its breakaway from Magix.

    Prepare to be ignored or left behind or worse.

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: XDPX (current, v15, v12 & 11 (64-bit)), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7; lots of licences back through time (to CC's Artworks). If your Post identifies a Xara software fault, please raise it directly with Magix --> support2.magix.com.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •