Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corel Draw 2020

Default Corel Draw 2020

Just had an email about Corel Draw 2020.

The price is £599 including 20% VAT (I guess for our US friends it's about US$ 550 ? ).

Who on earth would pay that for it?

..or you can rent for a year - £299 ( US$ 250 ).

These guys are in Adobe territory. Are they crazy?

..or am I wrong?

Default Re: Corel Draw 2020

The last time I used Corel Draw was in 1996, the year I started using Corel Xara.

At the current exchange rate, you are looking at US$731 for GBP599 ...

But, yes, I'd go with crazy!
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    At the current exchange rate, you are looking at US$731 for GBP599 ...

But, yes, I'd go with crazy!
    I took the VAT tax part off for the US. I was too lazy to look up the actual exchange rate..

these things are relative - I won't bore you with how much Toon Boom Harmony Premium costs, but it's a lot more than Corel Draw

of course TBHP is 'industry syandard', real alternatives are thin on the ground.... and it's Preminum version node system is worth the extra in itself in my opinion because of the time it saves and the ease in which changes can be made on the fly..

I understand that corel draw is a lot more precise than xara when doing work such as blueprint design - xara can be very fast, but precise [in the engineering sense] it is not

and of course if you work closely with others who use a particular program it is usually better to have it yourself - time spent is money, it's not how fast/expensive the programs are for a given task that counts in these situations, but how efficient/cost-effective the process is overall - something xara are well aware of with their cloud approach I am sure

context is king
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The thing that surprised me is that at this price-point it's nearing Adobe territory and I have yet to meet anyone working professionally that would own up to being a Corel Draw user.

It seems to me that the Affinity Suite may be match for Corel Draw at a much lower cost.

I'm sure there'll be a host of reviews coming.

I think it's always been on a par with adobe pricing

as to whether one program is better than another - it all depends what you are trying to do

for example, on a very simple level - CD has a bitmap tracer, AD does not [that said, I have not used CD for a year or two but last time I did, I prefered Illustrator's Livetrace/paint feature]

workflow is important too

I am surrounded by some very expensive pieces of kit, from two cintiq tablets to valve amplification and midi consoles - cost is a red herring, what counts is value for money; can't always get that right of course, but until you have a specific set of tasks to perform then whether one app is better than another is theoretical

look at it the other way round - who are these programs targeted for?

Corel Draw is targeted at Corportate Business for whom, in good times at least, £599 + VAT, might not cover the cost of a business lunch [ditto Adobe]

Affinity is not targeted at these people - it is targeted at those who have been priced out of the Adobe Market by Adobe's descision not to sell perpetual license any more - at least Corel still does this
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I suppose the attraction (if there is such a thing) is that the asking price is for a program that one can keep and not have a monthly/yearly subscription after the purchase (at least I assume that is the case). I used to use the program before discovering Xara and liked it at the time. It does have features that I wish Xara would adopt, but that's highly unlikely to happen...
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Ctrl + R to repeat the last step. I have asked for this for year to no avail.

Corel's new investors are smokin' crack. It's not a sustainable price structure. Version 2019 was, from all/every account, unusable. To have reasonable pricing, one needed to pay $249 + a $99 "upgrade protection" fee. Thereafter CD cost $99/yr. Version 2020 has less bugs, but they are there.

I got off the CD merry-go-round at version 2018 as I refused to pay the roughly $350 to get 2019 (which I wouldn't have been able to use anyway due to bugs and removed functionality. Upgrades had been roughly $175 (and sometimes less) for several versions but ended at v.2018.

Illustrator as a single app subscription is $20, but Adobe can be talked down a smidge. The whole CC suite can be had for about $35 to $50, depending on if one can get a deal. I do get ID jobs once in a blue moon and cannot use my CS6--I do subscribe for a month. Though I haven't need to rent for a few years now and just use QXP.