Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Corel Draw 2020

Hybrid View

Default Re: Corel Draw 2020

The thing that surprised me is that at this price-point it's nearing Adobe territory and I have yet to meet anyone working professionally that would own up to being a Corel Draw user.

It seems to me that the Affinity Suite may be match for Corel Draw at a much lower cost.

I'm sure there'll be a host of reviews coming.

I think it's always been on a par with adobe pricing

as to whether one program is better than another - it all depends what you are trying to do

for example, on a very simple level - CD has a bitmap tracer, AD does not [that said, I have not used CD for a year or two but last time I did, I prefered Illustrator's Livetrace/paint feature]

workflow is important too

I am surrounded by some very expensive pieces of kit, from two cintiq tablets to valve amplification and midi consoles - cost is a red herring, what counts is value for money; can't always get that right of course, but until you have a specific set of tasks to perform then whether one app is better than another is theoretical

look at it the other way round - who are these programs targeted for?

Corel Draw is targeted at Corportate Business for whom, in good times at least, £599 + VAT, might not cover the cost of a business lunch [ditto Adobe]

Affinity is not targeted at these people - it is targeted at those who have been priced out of the Adobe Market by Adobe's descision not to sell perpetual license any more - at least Corel still does this
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I suppose the attraction (if there is such a thing) is that the asking price is for a program that one can keep and not have a monthly/yearly subscription after the purchase (at least I assume that is the case). I used to use the program before discovering Xara and liked it at the time. It does have features that I wish Xara would adopt, but that's highly unlikely to happen...
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Ctrl + R to repeat the last step. I have asked for this for year to no avail.

Corel's new investors are smokin' crack. It's not a sustainable price structure. Version 2019 was, from all/every account, unusable. To have reasonable pricing, one needed to pay $249 + a $99 "upgrade protection" fee. Thereafter CD cost $99/yr. Version 2020 has less bugs, but they are there.

I got off the CD merry-go-round at version 2018 as I refused to pay the roughly $350 to get 2019 (which I wouldn't have been able to use anyway due to bugs and removed functionality. Upgrades had been roughly $175 (and sometimes less) for several versions but ended at v.2018.

Illustrator as a single app subscription is $20, but Adobe can be talked down a smidge. The whole CC suite can be had for about $35 to $50, depending on if one can get a deal. I do get ID jobs once in a blue moon and cannot use my CS6--I do subscribe for a month. Though I haven't need to rent for a few years now and just use QXP.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Corel's new investors are smokin' crack...
    I sometimes think this of magix, but for slightly different reasons...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I think Corel Draw is targeted to the embroidery, large graphic, t-shirt, sublimation markets. I used it and Xara in the '90s and early 2000. It was very good at using images across different products. I abandoned it because, at the time, only Xara could easily bend a line. Corel, then, had to convert a line into a different object. I still think it can't bend a line. My sublimation friends use it extensively.

There was a 320$ Cad offer for the whole suite when I visited, big price variation.

While I don't love the Corel Draw interface, they appear to be making useful improvements of creation tool.

It seems it becomes more and more difficult as a program mature to do so.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apGBNn5_700b.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	127055