Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Web site as an APP on a PC

Hi,

I am designing an application UI in xara. It looks like a web page/s and really could be one but for two issues.
    1 It has to run off line
    2 It has to communicate with a dongle. It is a HID device so much like a mouse.

Is it feasible? What language would the base code that would talk to the dongle need to be written in?

Many thanks

Tim

Default Re: Web site as an APP on a PC

Tim, Xara web pages are static and are happy with the file:// protocol so off-line is fine.

Never done anything with HID devices but Chrome has an API (https://developer.chrome.com/apps/hid) so JavaScript probably would suffice.
    if not in Chrome then you are coding (C++, C#, Java). I am sure there must be libraries out there.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by TimBox View Post
    Hi,

I am designing an application UI in xara. It looks like a web page/s and really could be one but for two issues.
    1 It has to run off line
    2 It has to communicate with a dongle. It is a HID device so much like a mouse.

Is it feasible? What language would the base code that would talk to the dongle need to be written in?

Many thanks

Tim
    I would ask the Dongle's manufacturer/vendor if there is an api for communicating with the dongle from a web browser. It's possible there may even be an independent software group that works with the dongle.

I have yet to come across any browser-based software that uses a dongle. I thought they were falling out of fashion, particularly since USB standards and socket configurations are changing and they are a pain when used with a laptop.

"I would ask the Dongle's manufacturer/vendor if there is an api for communicating with the dongle from a web browser."

I am the manufacturer. It is a HID device like mice. I can make it act like a mouse in fact with a little software change.

"I thought they were falling out of fashion, particularly since USB standards and socket configurations are changing and they are a pain when used with a laptop"

I'm not aware that using a mouse dongle was such an issue!

"I would ask the Dongle's manufacturer/vendor if there is an api for communicating with the dongle from a web browser."

I am the manufacturer. It is a HID device like mice. I can make it act like a mouse in fact with a little software change.

"I thought they were falling out of fashion, particularly since USB standards and socket configurations are changing and they are a pain when used with a laptop"

I'm not aware that using a mouse dongle was such an issue!
    It's an issue if you use a laptop sitting on a chair not flat on a desk or table.

I'm guessing that you need the dongle for software protection? Most companies just talk to their devices directly through bluetooth.

I have some 3D software that used a dongle, but it's been about ten years since they dropped that - thank god.

So do you actually make the dongle itself? That 3D software use sentinel dongles and it required Sentinel drivers to be installed on the machine to provide an API for the 3D software to talk to.

Good luck.

Its not a security dongle. Its a PIC MCU and 2.4ghz RF device. I designed it because I need to be able to talk to it.

Bluetooth is CRAP. When was the last time you connected 2 + devices to a laptop at one time. They drop out, you have to go into settings to connect to your device. No way would I inflict them on a customer of mine.

With a HID device you plug it in and it works. No fing about it just works. I have sold 1000's of devices that connect to a PC this way. They ALWAYS work.

But I do not do the PC coding. Previous ones were written in Delphi. As I mocked up the interface in XARA and can produce a web page with xara I was checking if you can turn the Xara HTM file into a web app. I want to know what code can the coms between a web app and the HID interface be written in. PHP, java what?

However since posting this I have found there are libs that enable PHP to access the USB ports.

Tim

Tim, glad we were able to help.

I bet Charles Moir would have chipped in if you had described your HID's purpose sooner.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Its not a security dongle. Its a PIC MCU and 2.4ghz RF device. I designed it because I need to be able to talk to it.

Bluetooth is CRAP. When was the last time you connected 2 + devices to a laptop at one time. They drop out, you have to go into settings to connect to your device. No way would I inflict them on a customer of mine.

With a HID device you plug it in and it works. No fing about it just works. I have sold 1000's of devices that connect to a PC this way. They ALWAYS work.
    Wow - all I did was ask!

Incidentally, I have programmed software to control Bluetooth devices, I didn't design the hardware I was talking to (an Arduino controlling a very fancy light) , I just do as I'm asked - mostly.. ..err sometimes.

But I do not do the PC coding. Previous ones were written in Delphi. As I mocked up the interface in XARA and can produce a web page with xara I was checking if you can turn the Xara HTM file into a web app. I want to know what code can the coms between a web app and the HID interface be written in. PHP, java what?

However since posting this I have found there are libs that enable PHP to access the USB ports.

Tim
    Excellent.

2.4GHz is a WiFi frequency, so do you just mean WiFi? If not doesn't that interfere with any Wifi comms (or is this some application for a remote location with no WiFi)

If it is WiFi, is your device giving a boosted range perhaps?

I'm just curious.

The RF unit is a nrf24l01+ (SMD type) 2.4ghz covers a wide spectrum including microwave cookers and wifi. I will sit in a band above wifi, away from Microwave ovens and still in the legal band.

In my application the donge talks to 2 other devices and they periodically every 1-3 seconds send data to the dongle and then to the PC application where the user can use said data.
    The main aim is simplicity if I use WIFI modules then I have to set up a device as server. That is not easy and the PIC is just an 8bit device. Using HID its simple. Plug the dongle in and the PC sees it. No divers needed, no selecting serial ports that number changes with the port you plug it into.
    Turn on your other devices and the connect instantly with the dongle. Change device to another one. No problems, there are only 2 types. It will take the first one seen of each.

The range only has to be a few meters so the PCB antenna is fine.

BTW spoken to my PC programmer and he says the permissions needed to allow a WEB app to get to the USB port are large and will not make the system seamless.

Thanks

Tim

The RF unit is a nrf24l01+ (SMD type) 2.4ghz covers a wide spectrum including microwave cookers and wifi. I will sit in a band above wifi, away from Microwave ovens and still in the legal band.

In my application the donge talks to 2 other devices and they periodically every 1-3 seconds send data to the dongle and then to the PC application where the user can use said data.
    The main aim is simplicity if I use WIFI modules then I have to set up a device as server. That is not easy and the PIC is just an 8bit device. Using HID its simple. Plug the dongle in and the PC sees it. No divers needed, no selecting serial ports that number changes with the port you plug it into.
    Turn on your other devices and the connect instantly with the dongle. Change device to another one. No problems, there are only 2 types. It will take the first one seen of each.

The range only has to be a few meters so the PCB antenna is fine.

BTW spoken to my PC programmer and he says the permissions needed to allow a WEB app to get to the USB port are large and will not make the system seamless.

Thanks

Tim
    Thanks for the explanation.

As for the permissions issue - that's good because none of us want web pages mucking about with our USB ports with our express permission.