Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Been a while!

Red face Been a while!

I haven't been here for many years, but I was thinking about the gang that was here 20 years ago helping me get started in my career and wanted to stop by and say how grateful I am for the huge impact you guys made in my growth and trajectory as a young squirt. I can't remember everyone's names, but Gary, Ross, Soquili, gnurf, Egg, William Clegg, Simone, Risto, Klauss and a handful of others. I'm not sure who is around these days, but to anyone that is, know that this place was the place I was excited to get feedback from everyday, learned a lot and grew confident (and humble!).

I'm 34 now and live in Columbus, Ohio with my wife. I've transitioned through many areas in the field over the past couple decades, from graphic designer to layout artist, photographers assistant, on-set digital tech, and now I'm doing post-production/retouching/vfx work from home and this has given me solid work over the past number of years, and still use the vector skills I developed here very often. You all cross my mind on occasion and I'm very grateful to have had a diverse place to learn growing up :-) Gary even jumped on the phone with me on one of my first big-time print jobs when I was in over my head!

Would love to hear how everyone else is doing and what you're up to!

(I know this isn't Xara stuff, but it was the old Xara crew so I hope this channel is appropriate!)
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Default Re: Been a while!

Sheesh, it has been a while! Glad to hear things are going well for you Steve. Remember this? http://archive.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/sn2/index.htm

Ross pops up from time to time. Egg is still here. Soquili (Bill Taylor) died several years ago. Very sad.William Clegg, Simone Pampado, Risto, and Klaus, long gone.

Xara is up to version 17 (but they did skip a few numbers to get to this). And Xara is now in a business relationship with German software company Magix, which may or may not be such a good thing.

Unlike you I have not aged at all. But I will be 79 next year.

Be safe, and Be well and drink your best wines now.

Hi Steve, great to hear from you after all this time. Glad to hear your well & still managing to make a living from your talent. Talk Graphics isn't the forum it was 20 years ago. Then it was mainly vector graphics orientated whilst these days it's far more website creation orientated. Unfortunately Xara has lost it's prime focus and there's been little development regard the vector side. This may well be due to it's roots on the software that gave it's blistering speed advantage over Coral Draw & Illy all those years back.

34? You're probably one of the youngest contributor to TG. As Gary states most of us are ancient now. I'm 72. Also many of the old contributors are now sadly deceased.

But hey, thanks for dropping back in!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Cool Re: Been a while!

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Steve, great to hear from you after all this time. Glad to hear your well & still managing to make a living from your talent. Talk Graphics isn't the forum it was 20 years ago. Then it was mainly vector graphics orientated whilst these days it's far more website creation orientated. Unfortunately Xara has lost it's prime focus and there's been little development regard the vector side. This may well be due to it's roots on the software that gave it's blistering speed advantage over Coral Draw & Illy all those years back.

34? You're probably one of the youngest contributor to TG. As Gary states most of us are ancient now. I'm 72. Also many of the old contributors are now sadly deceased.

But hey, thanks for dropping back in!
    72? It is all relative, you are a child.
    Spent some time at a VA clinic (USA) a while back. Guy stands up and brags that he is 92 (did not look it). Another guy told him to sit down, he was 96. A young man was pushing and older gentleman in a wheel chair. Said the oldster was 102.

Me? I am only 86.

Lou

Yes, Lou, there is always a gun slinger who is faster on the draw. And always someone who is older. But these days, most of them are younger.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Yes, Lou, there is always a gun slinger who is faster on the draw. And always someone who is older. But these days, most of them are younger.
    Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened!

Quote Originally Posted by louyo View Post
    Amen to that.

Steve you probably don't know me but welcome back to TG.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by louyo View Post
    What a great lline!!!
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.